How to propigate wisteria

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

My next door neighbor has some wisteria growing in a tree. I would like to get some of it to have some of my own to make one of those wisteria trees. What do I need to do? Can I get a cutting of it and root it in water? How do I do this?

Thanks,
Jesse

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Wisteria spreads by underground runners - look around the mother plant for suckers and just dig them up and replant them. Cuttings will be difficult to root unless you soil-layer them - I would opt for a plant from the git go!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have successfully rooted cuttings of my wisteria. I had lots of cuttings after I pruned it (tree form) so I stuck a few in pots on my patio just to see if could root them. I broke almost every rule: used cuttings with multiple branches, cuttings 1.5-2ft long, left the leaves on, etc and made no attempt to fawn over them. By the following spring, I noticed that about 3 out of 4 of them had survived, rooted, and were putting on new growth. I used branches that were small, about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil. Again, I didn't do anything but cut them into sections and stick them in a large pot of potting soil mixed with compost.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info scutler. I will give it a try. It can't hurt to try it. It is nice to know that it can be done.

Jesse

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You're welcome, Jesse. From my experience, I would say it roots quite easily. In an article I read recently regarding keeping it contained (not allowing it to spread to forests), it said to (among other things) burn all prunings - which also seems to suggest that it roots easily. I would like to reiterate that once I placed mine in the soil, I didn't mess with them again (no pulling on it to see if it's rooting, etc) until the following spring at which time I checked for sign of new growth.

Good luck with your wisteria.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.