California Poppy Seedling

(Zone 6a)

Can anyone here describe what a california poppy seedling looks like? Does it look like a shirly poppy seedling? If any one has a picture that would be even better!

thanks,
Steve

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

When they first come up, they just look like two skinny greyish green hairs (well not quite as fine as hair). I will send a photo with my next post.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

This is a somewhat older seedling and the light was low. But it might help you a little. The color is very distinctive.

Thumbnail by missgarney
Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

If you look closely at the photo above, you can see, at about 2 o'clock, the first 2 hairlike leaves to which I referred.

(Zone 6a)

I sowed alot of california poppy 'thai silk' and I wasn't sure if it was them or my shirly poppies coming up, but now I think it's the shirlys.
Thanks for your help!

Steve

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Don't give up on California poppies. I first saw them about 20 years ago at "Mother Earth News" experimental farm in NC. Later, when I had gardening space and time, I tried to grow them. It took me a couple of growing seasons to succeed. They like to germinate in cool weather and they don't like mulch. They don't like to be disturbed AT ALL. And they like sun. I have heard it said that they like sandy soil but I've never had anything close to sandy soil and they have grown well for me. I like to see them with Nigella damascena or other blues and purples, and with hot pink. I've never grown Thai silk, I like just the ordinary California poppy which is orange. I once tried a different color, but it was really pale and wimpy. I prefer the intense color.

(Zone 6a)

I've heard the orange is easiest, so maybe I should try that if I don't have success with these ones. They're in full sun, no mulch and the last few days in been in the teens but it's cooler again today. Hopfully they should still come up.......at least a few. I also sowed some summer-forget-me-nots and shirly poppies with them. And in the back of the bed there is dark purple larkspur and mixed colour clarkia. So if everything comes up it should look quite nice.

Steve

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I have one blooming today! I planted the seeds last fall and they are so pretty!
Mine are growing in red clay and cow manure. I love them.Mine are orange so I guess I grew the easy ones. Don't give up the folaige is even pretty.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I have always gotten the best results from seeds sown in the fall; they germinate and grow slowly throughout the winter. At this point in my garden, they are broad, bushy and stocky, about 6 inches high, with no sign of buds yet.

(Zone 6a)

I'll have to try sowing them in the fall this year......with a few other annuals I heard are good fall sown. It's funny though.....he we are waiting for spring and I'm already talking about fall sowing!!! LOL
I'll make sure I post and update once I get some coming up and if I get a chance I'll take a pic of them.

Steve

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

What's even worse, some of the websites have started their fall bulb sales! Geesh - how the heck do I know what to order for next year when I haven't even seen what was planted for this year?

(Zone 6a)

I'm not quite think about what fall bulbs to plat either...I got some nice yellow triumph tulips last fall that I potted up with some pink dianthus and silver lamium so I'm waiting to see how that turns out....It should look quite nice. It's always great when things grow the way you hoped they would......and don't turn into a weedy mess....

Steve

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I've sown California poppy on snow and gotten good germination the following summer. It's a fun thing to do when you have the winter blues. Just choose an area where there isn't too much grass.

(Zone 6a)

I still haven't gotten any sprouts :( Maybe they're not coming.....

(Zone 6a)

I was looking at my garden this morning and I found a California Poppy seedling! Just one.....but maybe more will come. YAY!

I was just looking at the package I got my Flanders Flields Poppies in and it says it can take up to 30 days to germinate.

(Zone 6a)

Beaker, What species are they?

I went back to the package for the Latin name (Papaver rhoeas), and I don't see anywhere on there the germination time. I don't know what the heck I was looking at. I thought it was the poppies. Must have been one of those pre-senior moments. Sorry for the mis-info. I checked out some other poppy seed packages and those say 10 to 20 days.

(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I've grown P. rhoeas and they don't take long to come up at all. Might not even take a week.
This year I droped the seeds in cracks in the pavement around our patio area and under seeded with Nemophila 'penny black'. So if they actualy grow the way I pictured it, it should look quite nice.

(Zone 6a)

I noticed another Cal poppy seedling today, it looks a little different then the first one, but now I have 2! Which is a tiny amount considering the amount of seed I droped.....it's better then none though!

Birds? They're always picking in my garden and I don't scatter grass seed anymore without throwing dirt on top of it. Just a free lunch for all my feathered friends.

(Zone 6a)

HA! You might be right.....I have seen little birds pecking around. I shooed them away. Next time I'll sprinkle soil on top.....can't now cause there's already tons of other seedlings there...

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Poppies grow really well from see for me. Ive found that they need lots of water though.

my shirlies have buds but havnt bloomed yet.

heres some white poppies

Thumbnail by steph_gem
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

i have them growing in few places.

Thumbnail by steph_gem
(Zone 6a)

Very nice poppies Steph! They're the same type I'm growing but mine are a different colour. I hope mine turn out as well as yours did! Here's a picture of the ones I'm trying.....

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

BTW, I really like your garden!

(Zone 6a)

YAY! Call me crazy for counting, but I just found 3 more california poppy seedlings!!! I hope I find more still.

Steve

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

wow those are pretty you have to post a pic k.

(Zone 6a)

Ok :) I'll try to get a pic once they start flowering!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.