Clematis recommendation for shade then harsh afternoon sun?

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi guys -
I'm considering replacing this defunct morning glory with a type 3 clematis. I noticed on this site http://stores.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/clematisforshade.html that there are tons of clematis that are billed to deal with part shade.
However I was wondering if you have any tried and true recommendations? This wall is shaded for most of the day but then gets blasted by the afternoon sun for a couple of hours when the sun goes down.
I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Wifeygirl and welcome to the Vine Forum!

You can never go wrong with Viticellas, which are type 3 Clematis vines. They are resistant to Clematis wilt and will be able to tolerate the hot afternoon soon. Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery offers lots of beautiful Viticellas. Choose the ones that you like best and start planting them so that they will reward you with gorgeous flowers in late Summer and early Fall. Good luck!

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you, Shirley!! I will check those out. At first look they look lovely!
hanks for the friendly welcome as well. I'm sure I'm going to frequent this forum as I just adore all climbing plants. I have very small planting space, but we'll see how many different climbers I can pack. =)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You're welcome Wifeygirl! You'll be able to pack a lot of vines into a small planting space because they grow vertically. Just remember, "the sky's the limit"! :~)

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I also have very little planting space Wifeygirl...I had to laugh when I read your comment because thats how I feel I'm gonna see how many I can pack in too..Gotta love those climbers..

Loretta..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.