Is this a Passion Vine?

Keller, TX(Zone 7b)

This is growing wild on our new property. I'm hoping it's a Maypop/Passion Vine. What do you think?

Thumbnail by mommacude
San Diego, CA

Well, it's a passion vine but not sure what type. Can you send more pics as it gets a little larger? it does not look anything like Maypop (Incarnata) but perhaps when it gets larger, we can get a better idea of what it is.
Mark

San Diego, CA

I should add that as it comes up bigger, the leaf could look different and it just may be what you want.
Mark

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Sure looks like the native P. incarnata that I have.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Yep, I agree. The leaves will take on a bit of a different shape when it gets older. If you like Gulf Fritillary butterflies, you are in for a treat.

Their babies are orange and have what looks like little black stickers all over them. They are not stickers and won't hurt you.

Keller, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes! I do love the Gulf Frittilaries. I used to live in Arlington and planted Passion Vines for the sole purpose of attracting the cats. I like the flowers too, but love watching the cats too. I just moved here and since we're not in the city with fences all around I'm trying to figure out where to let vines grow. Guess I'll start with an arbor out by this vine.

I want to get some Fennel and parsley growing for the black swallowtails too. My daughter likes to wiggle her finger near their cats and make them stick out the red "things" and make the yucky rotten cheese smell. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.