Cardiocrinum Giganteum aka Giant Himalayan Lily

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

Has anyone ever tried to grow one of these? I purchased a bulb this winter and I am hoping someone has some tips or pointers for me. The description says that it takes 5-7 years to bloom and then it dies after it blooms, but there are a lot of people who say the display is worth the wait! Thanks,

LD :)

Thumbnail by LarryDavid
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I think I read somewhere they like moist, boggy conditions.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, I don't think I could wait 5-7 years just to have them die after blooming......even if they are beautiful!

When I visited the garden show in Portland there was a vendor selling cardio bulbs of about 4 or 5 different sizes and priced accordingly. My hand kept reaching out to touch but my brain said "where would I put this, where would I put this" LOL. That is my mantra when the reaching out to touch thing happens at these garden shows! Well one of these days I'll try them. A big bulb will bloom within 2 years but you pay the price for it, around 15 bucks. They don't really "die" as they set many bulblets as the mother bulb succumbs. I believe once you get a good stand of them you will have bloom year after year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's what I figured from what little reading I have found about them. I understand it takes around 7 years from seed. That's a little easier to swallow!

Moby, are you saying that paying 15 bucks for a blooming size cardio is easier to swallow;-))? Oh, I keep forgetting that I coughed up $20 a piece for a couple of buggycrazy's big whopping OTs. I better go check on how the little darlins are doing.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL If it's from seed, that seven year wait is easier to swallow. For monster size lilies like that....I wouldn't mind shelling out a few bucks. Though I think I'd like to have a few that are varying ages from maturity so I'd have a succession of blooms. But I'm not good at waiting!

Speaking of buggycrazy's whoppers ~ I'm not how sure much would be too much for the bulbs she sends. I was poking around today and was horrified to find a few Orientals up. Too early! This pic is of BC's monster Rosario I bought last Fall. I've never seen a 'nose' so fat ~ it was over an inch wide.

Thumbnail by Moby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.