Veggie Mulch Question

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All:

I planted some tomatoes, peppers, white onions and garlic in a raised bed today. I want to add a layer of hay for mulch. About an inch or 2. Should I wait until the garlic and onions sprout or will the shoots be able to grow up through the mulch?

Thanks
BB

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

You may find that straw will stay in place better than hay. And, your alliums should grow through a 2 inch layer of mulch, no problem.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Yep. They're bulbs, and you know how flower bulbs come up easily through even heavy mulch.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

BB...I'm not quite sure how far south (in Ga) Lawrenceville is but unless you have really nice hot days AND nights I'd hold off on mulching your tomatoes and peppers for a while. Both of those plants love heat and "warm feet"; mulching them too soon will block the sun's heat from warming the soil and pleasing your plants. I'd suggest waiting 'til the air temps are consistent (evened out) and then mulch your tomatoes/peppers in an effort to conserve moisture at that time. (Mulching now will only keep the soil temperature cool and slow down growth and production.)

Shoe.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Everyone:

I brought hay because I didn't know what I was doing. Will buy straw next time.

Shoe:

I'm about 30 miles NE of Atlanta. I'm going to hold off a little while on the mulch. These were store brought plants. I wanted to put them out as sacrificial lambs before I put out the plants I started.

By the way, the Genovese Basil you sent has sprouted very nicely! Almost time to repot them.

BB

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great! You're off and running now, eh?

Happy Growing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.