anyone know me? please id help

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

this is all around the post office in town ( north augusta) it starts to bloom late dec early jan. and its still bloomimg. does anyone know the name of it??

Thumbnail by imzadi
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That looks like a Tall Bearded Iris to me. Which one, I have no idea.

Laura

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

it is but have been unable to id it.

i couldnt get a better shot of it due to it being on post office property. this was the best i could do without showing any of the post office.

Newfoundland, NJ

That color is very intriguing.
Laetitia

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I agree with Laetitia ...................the color is intriguing. Is it still blooming right now? Does the flower form look more historic looking? Or more modern looking?

Is the iris that is up and to the left of the main one pictured - - the same one?

~ Margie

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

yep the ones next to it are the same. yes they are still blooming right now.

its got to be an older variety as they have been at that post office for as long as i can remeber.

the color is intriging and i have never see any any where. i will try to get a close up one maybe after hours. they have some by the glass of the post office but will see if i can take a shot without getting the post office in it.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes, see if you can get another photo of it. The falls seem darker/deeper - possibly even with a hint of a lighter rim.

2 older varieties come to mind - - but doesn't mean it's it. I'm thinking possibly Chief Chickasaw or Chief Hematite. It could easily be something else too, but it's hard to tell without a better photo.

CHIEF CHICKASAW
(Scharff, R. 1957). Sdlg. 52-28-86. TB 35" E-M. R1D.
"Redbrown self. Cordovan X ((Firecracker x unknown) x (Ola Kala))., Sunnyhills 1958.

CHIEF HEMATITE
(J. Gibson, R. 1982). Sdlg. 26-8A. TB 36" (91 cm) M.
"S. red brown and violet blend; F. velvety, deeper red brown, orange hafts; orange brown beard. Golden Garnet sib X sib., Gibson 1983.

Here is a photo of CHIEF HEMATITE. Not mine - I found this on the web years ago. I thought I had a personal photo of it too - - but I guess not. Some years it looks more tan-red, other years more tan-purple-brown.

Thumbnail by Margiempv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.