Fragrant, shady vines

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

What fragrant vine would you suggest for a shady spot? I'm hoping to find something with a wafting scent for the fence outside a guest bedroom. If it also attracted butterflies or didn't require much water, that would be wonderful. I know- I don't want much ;-)

Thanks,

Maggie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Carolina yellow jessamine should do well for you, and maybe Confederate jasmine. And there's always that really invasive sweet autumn clematis. :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've had good luck with Star/confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) in a shady spot by my house. It has a very powerful scent when it's in bloom. Don't know about butterflies--they seem to go more for my sunny garden areas rather than the shade so you may not get those. And I don't have to water it too often but it's on the cooler side of my house and really doesn't get much sun so your experience may vary depending on your climate. Mine is also a rather old very well established vine, so a less well established one will likely need more watering.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

I appreciate the input. I'm trying to grow jasmine on that side but it seems to be slow going. They didn't flower last year- perhaps they were too young. It's doing great on the sunny side. I saw on this list or the GW fragrant list a vine was mentioned that liked shady spots. I lost the thread when the computer froze. Perhaps it was a clematis.
Thanks,

Maggie

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

Stephanotis floribunda will take shade and has a gorgeous scent.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

try corkscrew vine, I am planting one for the first time this year. I hear they're beautiful and fragrant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.