The Lilies in my Garden (my first post here)

(Zone 6a)

Hello, Everyone!!!
I just subscribed to DG this afternoon(YAY), so this is my first post in a non-free forum here :)
I just thought I'd post on what lilies I have in my garden.
Last year I only had 2 different ones....An Asiatic 'Pixie Red/White' and Dwarf Oriental 'White Horse'(looks like Casablanca...except dwarf). But this week I bought a bag of Asiatic 'America' and Lilium Longiflorum 'Elegant Lady'(it looks so cheery)........So hopefully everything comes up well, I don't have a camera, but I'll have to get one and take some pics of them when they flower!
I do have one pic of 'America'.....but it's just the off the package.

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Welcome to DG Steve!

I love lilies, I don't have nearly enough in my garden. I love regale and the orientals because of their scent.

Here's to a great 2006 lily season!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome to DG, Steve!!

(Zone 6a)

Thanks, for the welcome mgh!
I haven't grown regale before...I saw it at the garden center, but, I bought the other ones instead. I like lilies cause their not fussy and grow well even if it's not full sun. Ooo, now I can't wait till they flower!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Steve. Welcome to Daves from a subscriber in Wisc.

I have grown America for yrs. You will love the color and ease of that lily.

Maxine

(Zone 7b)

Nice dark red lily!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Welcome, Steve. If you hang around here, I bet you have a lot more than 4 lilies by the end of October. Better start saving your pennies. I think American Meadows still have their bulb sale on. 35% off.

Way to go, Beaker!! LOL

We're all enablers here, Steve.....better look out! LOL

(Zone 6a)

I'll be on the look out for you guys!!! LOL! Next time I get to a greenhouse...which I think will be early April (were planning on redoing our dry shade front garden.....it looks awful!) I'll be on the lookout for more lilies!

It's good to know 'America' is an easy grower :) I'm looking forward to it!!!

The Lily Nook is a Canadian website and they have a wonderful selection of bulbs plus one of the most informative catalogs available. You should check them out.

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/CatalogStart.htm

I have Elegant Lady on order with them for this Spring. It's an LO (longiflorum/oriental cross). Very pretty.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
(Zone 6a)

I didn't know that Elegant Lady was a cross, I wonder if it has scent.?..
I'm going to check out The Lily Nook tomorrow. It looks like a good site!

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Steve,
Great to see you here! I only just started my lily collection last year as well but with all of the amazing pics in this forum I now have a very long list of ones I want to add to my gardens.

Have you checked out the "The Lily Nook" they have amazing lilies. I already have created an order but I have to scale it back a wee bit don't want to give my dh too much of a shock.

Michelle

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Steve, and welcome!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Steve! Welcome to lily madness! Beware; addiction will follow, LOL.
Neal.

Hi Steve, I really love your dark red lily. Welcome to DG. I'm fairly new here myself.

(Zone 6a)

I'm just checking out the Lily Nook now. I've started looking at the Orienpets, I love the size and coloration of them. Especially ones like 'Shocking' , American West and 'Altari'. Now to go gawk at the rest of the site!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

I forgot to add that I also have a clump of Asiatic 'Citronella' growing in a different bed. I find it doesn't last very long though and I like it best before the petals recurve!

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Steve,
Check out 'Classic' from The Lily Garden www.thelilygarden.com .... a nice yellow with more of a bell shape like L. canadensis....very pretty....I am trying it this year.
Sue
btw...welcome!

Corte Madera, CA

steve, a very warm welcome! thanks for sharing your lilies. looking forward to more.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Great big welcome to DG, steve! You are going to love it here. It's just about the best place in the world with some of the best people you will ever meet.
Moonglow, I love your name.
mich & crew

Thumbnail by keyi
(Zone 6a)

Mich, what is that in your photo? It's gorgeous!

Sue, I checked out asiatic 'classic' and I like it very much.
I will keep a lookout for it, like all the other plants and lilies on my 'list'.

Steve

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Ok, so I'm a little late, but welcome to DG anyway! You're going to love it here!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Steve, I think it's called a Surprise Lily. It was just beginning to open up and had the most gorgeous iridescent shimmer to it. The leaves come up in the spring then die back to the ground in summer, then the flower stalk comes up with the pretty pink flowers. Both photos were taken July 31 2005. The plants came from my grandmothers yard.

Thumbnail by keyi
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's what I thought it was ~ aren't they fun? http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/517/index.html

(Zone 6a)

Today I went to the Ontario Gardening Show in Burlington Ontario. It was great. There was this one stall there selling lilies, 4 bags for 10$(awsome deal!) So I bought 4 bags - 1 white/yellow tiger twinkle, an unnamed yellow/orange trumpet, asiatic 'grand parade' and orienpet 'shocking'.
The twinkle lily only had one large bulb in it, the asiatic and trumpet had around 3 in each bag(along with bulblets) but the 'shocking' had 5 bulbs in the bag along with bulblets!!!!! So now I'm going to have quite the show this summer! I put little pots over them for tonight to keep the fuzzy pests away.

Steve

(Zone 6a)

Mich, thanks for the identification. I'm going to add it to my 'wish list'.

Moby, thanks for the link. I checked it out in the PlantFiles.

Steve

(Zone 6a)

Here's some pics of them...

This is just the pic scanned off the package. I looked but didn't find this one online.....

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Here's the 'tiger twinkle'. The yellow colour is much paler on the package but got deeper after being scanned in...

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

And this is the un-named yellow/orange trumpet.
The photos on the tags weren't very good, so this is all I have now....

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Ginny coming in here late in the day. Hee Hee Hee.

We will have Steve with a garden full of lilies and not too much else by the end of the season methinks.

http://www.orls.ca to start with.

A great lily sale at RBG in the Fall. Lily show, lily picnic, great lily people.... um what else. Sale at Guelph - go early to line up so you get what you want. GO TO THE SHOW at RBG. And go visit Laking Gardens at RBG during iris time. We'll get you there too.

Take a trip or two and go visit Tom Greatrix in ????? Coldwater or near.

Steve, it is called sucking you in or certainly being ENABLED

Inanda Showing off with Boogie Woogie, a freebe from Botanus a few years ago.

Thumbnail by inanda

Well, methinks Steve didn't need too much of a push (LOL). With each new aquisition, I can almost feel the excitement coming over through
cyber space.

You just have yourself a blast, Steve! Can't wait to see them all blooming in your garden.

(Zone 6a)

Your right Beaker, I didn't need to much push. I'm already pretty obsessed with gardening! I wanna get a camera this summer even if it's just a disposable....cause I want to take pics. I hope some of my lilies bloom at different times and not all at once.....and if they do.....I'LL JUST HAVE TO GET MORE!!! heh heh heh. If I'm going to get sucked in somewhere though Inanda, this would be the best place!

Steve

(Zone 6a)

I took some photos of my lilies earlier today....

America

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Dwarf Pixie Red/White

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

The next two photos are an orange trumpet and Orienpet 'Shocking'.
Can't remember which ones which though.....

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

or maybe I took photos of the same types.....?

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

And last.....Dwark Asiatic 'Grand Parade'

I can tell this one apart....

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.