What is blooming in the Garden today

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

We have had a colder than normal spring so far in Zone 8 (Northern California) and the rain just keeps on coming. But that hasn't stopped the early blooming plants from putting on a show. One of my favorites are the Grevilleas. The Aussie members should be familiar with these. Here is one of my favorites: Grevillea lavandulacea 'Penola' - I love the contrasting silvery gray foliage with the cardinal red clusters of flowers. It blooms for about 4 months.

Thumbnail by perennialist
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is another, Grevillea 'Austraflora Fanfare'. It is very prostrate and will cover an area very quickly to 10' wide and 1' high.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Another Grevillea that is blooming right now is G. sericea 'Collaroy Plateau'. It is a large wispy shrub to 8 ' high and 8' wide.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

If you are into Blue flowered plants, then the Lithodora 'Grace Ward' is a good one to plant. It can be finicky when overwatered especially in very hot weather.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

A new plant for me this year is the Tulbaghia natalensis. So far it is the best smelling, and best blooming Tulbaghia I have grown. It has stayed about 12" tall with masses of blooms. The foliage is more chive like than other Tulbahgia I have grown. I highly recommend this species.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Another new plant for me this year is a Globularia sp. I can not find any detailed information on this plant, so if anyone out there can help out it would be appreciated. It is a hardy plant for me here in Zone 8 and quite everygreen. As you can see the blooms are quite interesting and different.

So beautiful! Your spring is WAY ahead of mine. My 'grace ward' is just starting to perk up. Here's what I photographed today:

I love this accidentally great color combination.

Thumbnail by

I LOVE the globularia! That is a very cool looking plant!
From another direction, this Helleborus has great color with the hyacinths.

Thumbnail by
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

I grow a few Salvias and am trying Salvia lemmonii this year. ( Sometimes classified as S. microphylla wislizeni) It has a much more compact habit and the hot pink flowers are very showy and will cover the top of the plant as an Azalea would when in full bloom.

How about the blue of this one? I've never seen that blue on a hyacinth before.

Thumbnail by
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

The Hyacinth look so cheery and a sure sign that spring is coming. Is that an Arum italicum coming up? The Helleborus look awesome! I can't plant them in the sun here because the will cook when our temps reach 100.

Beautiful flowers, Perennialist. Thanks for sharing them. Wish I could grow the Grevilleas but I fear they would not like it here.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Some of my Hellebores have been blooming for awile. Here is a dark one that I am going to start hybidizing with.

Yes, it's Arum italicum. I love it for the foliage and the red berries. The helleborus can be grown in the sun here as long as it is under a deciduous tree, such as this one. By the time summer comes with its heat and dryness, it will be in the shade. We don't have enough sun for anything in the winter and early spring, so we have a lot of leeway with these plants. I adore them for perking up an otherwise dreary winter garden.

That color is incredible! I don't think I've seen a color that 'purple' before. Very lovely and I'm betting you'll get some beauties from it.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is an unusual Hellebore with variegated foliage. It hasn't bloomed yet, would be nice if it was a dark bloom.

That is an interesting one. Yes, a dark bloom would be lovely on that.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Pixy,

I would bet that if you could get a hold of these Grevilleas they would grow for you. Most are hardy where temps don't get into the teens.

It's generally the wet that gets things here, not so much the temps, although that wasn't true this year. We had two very long spells of weather where the temps never got above freezing during the day, and were in the teens at night. VERY unusual this close to Puget Sound.
Mostly the stuff that doesn't like wet feet drowns during the winter. The ground is just always very, very wet, even if you have good drainage like I do in my beds (after lots of soil amending). Also, even if something is hardy, we don't generally get enough heat early enough in the season for some plants to grow to any decent size. Think they would make it through the wet season here?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Your photos are beautiful, just in case you thought no one else was appreciating them.

Pixy, your color combinations are just great, and that blue Hyacinth is stunning.

Perennialist, I'm ready to go on a hunt for that Globularia. What a pretty plant!

Hi Zuzu! Long time no 'see'! Isn't that Globularia awesome? I've had to add that one to my 'list', too. This is the list that gets only longer.

Here's one that's a bit more subtle. This is the woodland side of the yard and the trillium are blooming. In the foreground by the trillium is a native rhododendron that I'm letting grow, and hucklberry in the background. Budding out are the native hazelnuts.

Thumbnail by
Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

I love the hellebores. Perennialist, do you know the name of the variegated one? My Helleborus argutifolius is blooming now.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Keith, I am so glad you joined DG! Well, maybe not, your images always make my plant wish list grow and I get depressed that I have such a small yard!

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Joolster,

The variegated Hellebore is a seedling. I am going to hybridize with it if it blooms to see if the seedlings will be variegated. That would be cool!!

Cheers, Keith

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Sue,
Just let me know what plants you would like to try. I will accomadate your addiction!! You will just have to get rid of some old plants and bring in the new. You know, there is always room for another pot on the patio!!

Cheers, Keith

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Pphhttt! You haven't seen my patio lately! There's barely walking room!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Keith, you have a beautiful assortment of plants! So many things that are unusual for us in this part of the country, and such a joy to see.

pixie, fabulous color combos you've got! You should just say you planned it that way (while holding your thumb out like an artist sizing up a canvas) LOL. And love that grotto to!

joolster, that hellebore is just amazing! It reminds me of that quote/line from Lord of the Rings "a pale morning of cool spring still clinging to winter's chill".
Neal

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Neal, I love plants and love to try new plants that have landscaping benefits such as texture, long blooming season, or plants to fill a niche.

For foliage color this time of year, I am trying this Yucca filamentosa 'Colorguard'. It has very striking foliage, and in the winter there is a rose pink cast on the leaves giving a tri-color look. Yucca's are very easy to grow in well drained soil.

Keith

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Another plant that I am growing for the foliage is Coprosma repens 'Pink Splendor'. It is going to grow to 6' x 6' so I am giving plenty of room to show off its beautiful leaves.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is another plant that I planted especially for late winter blooms. Another Aussie plant, it is Boronia crenulata 'Shark Bay'. It will only get to be 2-3' tall and wide in the full sun. It will bloom for over 5 months.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

A plant that I am trying for the first time is Ribes sanguineum 'Claremont'. A very elegant flowering shrub to 8' tall it is quite stunning when it shows off its blooms in late winter. This plant needs afternoon shade here in my zone 8 garden in the Sacramento Valley of northern California, where we get 100 degree days with low humidity.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

One of my all time favorite shrubs is the Berberis darwinii. It has the brightest orange flowers that just keep on blooming thoughout the year. It also has purplish bue berries that add interest and are food for birds. This plant does get big though so I am giving it some room to grow.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

To continue the theme of what is blooming in the garden, here is a new favorite of mine, Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger'. It is proving to be an awesome showpiece in the garden. You certainly can't miss this one! It is 2' x 2' and is so easy to grow.

Gorgeous plants, Keith. Where is Plumas Lake?

Here is Nicotiana alata in bloom today. I love plants that give me winter/early spring bloom.

Jooolz

Thumbnail by jooolster
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Another early bloomer in the garden is Geranium cinereum subcaulescens. Nice color and low form makes for a great show for the front border. It does seem to be short lived in my past efforts. I think our 100 summers are unkind to it.

Wow! My Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger' doesn't look like that yet. But I just planted it a couple months ago and it is blooming. Yours is spectacular.

Here is an unknown crassula (I believe) in bloom hanging on my fence.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is Plumas Lake, California.

Your Nicotiana White is beautiful!! White is such an important color in the garden. I just planted three Pacific Coast Iris called Canyon snow because I didn't have enough white blooms in the garden

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

I just love the climate down in the Santa Barbara area. My wife Jennifer sells for a wholesale nursery down there called Do Rights Plants. You should be able to get their product at any independant garden center in your area.

Your Crassula looks quite stunning and is another great winter bloomer. The do alright up here unless we get a hard freeze.

Yes, we have an almost perfect climate. But four times this winter I awoke to frost on the roofs & birdbaths. Very unusual for us. And we had a terrible hailstorm which made a mess of a lot of plants.

Euphorbias are another of my favorite plants. Here are a couple E. milii.

Thumbnail by jooolster
Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Is that the one they call the Crown of Thorns? The flowers are bigfor that type of euphorbia. Great plants!! I can't grow those up here.

Keith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.