succulent propagation

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i had a very large ghost plant.....it was sickly so the greenhouse people told me i should take off all the infected leaves before i do anything else, so i did....i had one very large leaf that didnt look very bad but did have a few spots(dont know exactly what the spots where)and i took this single leaf and put it in the dirt....this was a year ago....this single leaf has roots that are about 5 inches long, but has never sent up any other plantlets or anything....im confused...am i wasting my time by watering this single leaf or what...i have gotten 4 or 5 really nice plants if i take a stem cutting and the good ole momma plant that was sickly still has 2 leaves and a baby plant sprouting off the side from where one of the old leaves were.....any suggestions......

Once roots form on my leaves, I like to remove the top half of the leaf with a clean razor blade. It seems that this tells the plant to stop feeding off the leaf and start working on those roots some more. I've had good success doing this with jade leaves.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

ill try it....i thought maybe this poor leaf just didnt want to make a real plant....it liked the water and fertilizer for itself....lol...ill try to cut off the top portion of it....thanks

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

well it isnt working.....i cut the top half off and now it is all mushy and if it lives ill be suprised......oh well thats ok..i still have the momma plant that keeps having little ghosts...lol......and a rather large sister to get cuttings from....thanks

Valley Village, CA

I propogate by cutting off the top of the head. I keep the top rosette in a pot without soil until I see a brush of new roots at the bottom which will take about 17 days in warm weather. Be sure to set the pot in a cool spot. I also start this plant by cutting of the offsets, again waiting for roots to form before I water, or take healthy leaves off at the stem, be very careful how you take the leaf off, pull to one side gently and then down.
Lay these leaves on their side on top of the soil, not in the soil until you see the roots, now take a pencil and poke them into the soil and water and fertilize. WOW, now you have a bunch of new plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.