Help me id this small white insect on Lithodora

Santa Cruz, CA

I had my Lithodora "heavenly blue" on the coffee table. I took it outside to get some sun, and noticed a bunch of tiny white bugs dead on the table.
I have pretty much ruled out that they are not mealy bugs, scale, or white flies, spider mites, or ants. They have no wings.
This maybe a weird discription, but they look like tiny pure white crickets?

I have taken a few photos, of these bugs, they are very tiny. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 6:22 PM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by coconutnewbie
Santa Cruz, CA

here is another image to show size, in this image there is an even smaller one on the far left

Thumbnail by coconutnewbie
Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

There's a website called whatsthatbug.com. If you send them a picture, I'll bet they can identify the insect for you.

Santa Cruz, CA

thanks for the website mary, I will give them a try

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

These look like cast skins to me. Are there any insects visible onthe plant?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

I noticed the same bugs on my roses. Could they be young aphids? They were abundant on the roses along with the green aphids. Let me know.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

They could very well be aphid cast skins. That's what they reminded me of. I don't know about roses - I purposely don't grow them, because they are a pain in terms of upkeep - but for aphids on my other plants, I wait a while and usually the lady beetles come along and eat them all up - no need to treat.

Santa Cruz, CA

I think you're right Night_Bloom. I did not notice any live non-white bugs on the plant itself. Just a bunch of the same white bugs on the plant that do not move. I took the plant outside for fear these insects infecting another plant. The plant doesn't look very healthy. I will try to treat as if it's an aphid infestation and see how it goes.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have had aphids plenty of times in the greenhouse on and off through the years and I have never seen that white thing fall off. If the bug is molting, then I would think the bug would have some white on it because that debris is so white? Aphids are easy to see-did you see any on the plant? They are usually on the tip of the plant on the new growth.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

The bugs I saw on my roses were not at the tips like the green aphids. They were just sitting on the leaves and some were dead on the ground. I touched one of them and it flew away. This is going to drive me crazy now until I know what they are. I'm sure they weren't castings on my rose because like I said, one fo them flew away.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I agree, I have seen this bug somewhere-a picture in a book or something-I think its the dead bug in your picture. I will look at my books and see if I can identify it.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

could this be the cast skin of a leafhopper?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.