Getting rid of Creeping Charlie

Appleton, WI

Any body have any suggestions for getting rid of Creeping Charlie or gill-over-the ground.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My neighbor's yard is full of it. They use 2- 4- D. It doesn't get rid of it. She mixed up 40 Mule Team Borax and it killed the top growth, but not the roots. Sorry to only know of products that don't work. Try letting your grass grow to 3'' or 31/2'' to crowd it out.

Appleton, WI

Unfortunately I don't have grass in that area. It is flower beds and so far I have just tried to pull it. My neighbor's yard is full of it and I am afraid that no matter what I do I am fighting a losing battle. But I still fight.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Have you tried Round-Up. The one that kills all? Or are you against poisons? Gardens Alive have earth friendly solutions, but I don't know about C C. I'm just starting to have little tufts of it in all my flower beds. I've never had a problem before. I'll be watching this thread. I hope you get a good answer!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I call it yard kudzu and have decided that the only way I will get rid of it is to move ! :(

Appleton, WI

Yeah, Charlotteda, I think you may be right. I keep hoping some one will have a magic bullet.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

My neighbor's solution to Creeping Charlie was to till under the grass and put in garden beds. It worked in the areas he tilled, however, he kept some grass. The grass area allowed it to move right back into the beds.

Appleton, WI

Jefe, did the garden beds keep it out or just make it easier to pull. It seems to come right into my garden beds, but then I do have them bordered by grassy areas. Ive heard of a method called flaming in which you use a torch and scorch the top leaves so often that it just starves the roots. It sounds time consuming and a little scary and time consuming. I wonder if any one has tried flaming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.