Re: Lily Advice

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Could you help out with the answer to this question. Yesterday a fellow gardener planted some lily bulbs( He is in Southern Ontario, Zone 6.), and when he took them out of the bag(they were in peat)...there was already sprouts a couple inches on them!! But today, along came a squirrel and dug one up, mauled it a bit and bit of the shoot that was coming! He planted the bulb back in the ground and he planted the scales the squirrel ripped off........Will this lily (Asiatic 'America') still grow? Or has he lost it?

Thanks so much

Michelle

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Michelle ~ welcome to DG and the Lily Forum. The bulb will probably be fine. The worst that could happen is the stem / sprout is completely broken resulting in no bloom this year but should be OK next year. Does your friend have anything he can temporarily put over the planted area, such as chicken wire or an overturned wire basket? I sometimes use old hanging baskets that are made of heavy wire.

In the meanwhile, he could try a heavy dose of black pepper on the soil. Good luck!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 3:05 PM

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Moby,
Thanks for the welcome! I have been lurking and drooling on this forum for awhile. I have only just started collecting different types of lilies so I will definitely visit this forum regularly. Thanks for the great advice. I passed it along to my gardening friend.

Thanks again!
Michelle

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You're welcome to drool but you have to stop lurking! LOL Be sure to share your lily pics when you have them. Can't have too many lily lovers here. :)

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Moby,
This forum has opened my eyes to a whole world of lilies. I already created a spring order of lily bulbs from the Lily Nook. Can't wait to see everyone's pics and hopefully post mine.
Thanks again!
Michelle

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Lily Nook = empty pocketbook

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Moby,
ROFL! Tell me about it! I could not believe how fast my order added up. But of course I wanted to try so many things. I guess I will have to narrow down my choices don't want to give DH a heart attack!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 11:03 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think you're going to fit in here frightfully well. :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

RE Bushy tailed RATS and lily bulbs. I have wire on the ground on top of my lilies under the mulch. Keeps off the @#$ livestock - including cats BTW.
Inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.