Planting lily bulbs

Sea Cliff, NY(Zone 7a)

Could some one please give me advice? I just bought a bunch of lily bulbs: Hardy Trumpet Lily, Oriental x Trumpet lily, and a bag of lilies from Cosco (Grand Cru). I am living in zone 7a, NY state. I think it is too early to put them in the ground. Can I start them in pots under grow lights? or is there another way to start them early

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You can pot them if you like but lilies can be planted anytime the ground isn't frozen. They'll settle in a come up when the time is right. :) I have some that are going in the ground just as soon as it quits raining.

Sea Cliff, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Moby

Sea Cliff, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Moby
If they have already sprouted do I put the new growth under the dirt?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You're most welcome. If the new growth is just a nub, I'd plant it the usual depth. Any more than that, you'll want to leave the top of the growth above the soil line. The developing roots with pull it to the proper depth.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Moby, I don't understand why you would plant shallow if the shoot has started up. I always plant at the normal depth no matter what.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hmm....I had to think about my answer and decided it comes down to personal preference as I've never read anything official about how to plant "big box store" lilies.

Nubs get planted deep but when a bulb has a shoot that is desperately try to grow, to me it just seems wrong to deny it some fresh air. Feels like I'm telling it to 'stay away from the light!'. LOL

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Boy am I glad I've been watching this - after following, I went out yesterday and planted all my oriental and asiatic bulbs!! Now they will get all the rain outside that is supposed to be coming this way - nothing better! Thanks so much for the advice - Dax080

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I bought a bag of Regale' lilies 4 years ago that were growing in a bag and already had buds on them!

I planted them as deep as I could without covering the leaves and buds, took off the buds and because they were planted in a raised bed that dries out quickly watched the moisture closely.

I really din't expect to see them the next year because one of them grew about 2 inches and then just disappeared. The other spent most of the summer with me but was only about 6 inches tall.

The next summer they presented me with about 4 flowers each, and last year about 20 per stem! The group of 2 has increased greatly and can't wait to see them again.

Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Moby, I plant 'em just like you do and get great results.
You are a wonderful teacher ;-)

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I think what's going on here is the lilies marvelous ability to pull itself down deeper if it doesn't like its planting depth. I would never plant shallow because I think the stem needs the support to hold up whatever flowers that bloom. Of course, I guess we shouldn't expect too much from a bag of lilies that's been laying around in some store for too long.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ron, that means a lot coming from you. :)

Dax ~ good for you! Be sure to share pics when you can.

Sue, one of these days, I going to see all of your spectacular lilies. It must be quite a scene with the number you have!

beaker ~ you're right about those marvelous lilies. Mother Nature takes care of her own despite the meddling of us mere humans.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.