looking for a new laptop

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm looking to purchase a laptop and would like input.

This won't be my primary computer, but I'll need it to 'talk' to the other one on occasion. (I think one of those little keychain thingys that you plug into a usb port will suffice)

I'm sorta falling into a mobile photography business and I think I can justify a laptop if I push it a bit more. I'll need one that works with large image files, but other than that, I don't know what to ask for.

What I first started doing was going to a venue and doing pet portraits...it's worked great the way things are...but someone suggested going to all of the sports fields and doing kids action shots...and printing on the spot. I think it will work...we're a sports crazy area...and have super facilities for kids athletics all over.

Here's is what my computer tech (a friend) suggested....I trust him, but he's well known for overkill too.

1800 Mhz
1gig memory
100 gig Hard drive
dvd rw + cd rw drive
3 USB
video out
s video out
pcmcia slot
14" screen

Is this what I need...or is it like trying to kill a fly with an elephant gun? I won't be doing video...I've got a digital movie camera and a dvd burner...but it's just not my thing. I prefer still photography 10 to 1...the movie camera is just for family use...and it's rarely used. The still camera gets used every day of the year.

Gardenwife has an idea as to what I've got on my mind...so I'm hoping she can help with explaining. I really think this is something that will be successful.

I need input...

This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!