Planting Tomatoes - when is a good time for those in Zone 7b

Seattle, WA

Am trying a new Tomato plant: Early Girl. Just bought 3 starts, that are in 4-inch containers, tonight.

I am in Seattle, Washington. The plants will be in containers, and will get full sun.

Only when ought they to be transplanted?

Suggestions welcomed.

Jennifer

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here, I wait 3-4 weeks after our "average date of last frost" to plant out tomatoes. If you're willing to bring the containers inside or cover them if frost is forecasted, you could probably plant them out now. I have some tomatoes that are scheduled to go outside in Wall-o-waters in a couple of weeks, and you're in a warmer zone. I'm pretty sure 'Early Girl' is a variety that can start setting fruit in cooler weather, which should also help.

edited to add... you might try this question in the Pacific Northwest gardening forum, as I doubt my planting dates here are very relevant for you. Your local agricultural extension office should be able to advise you also.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 12:40 AM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You should be coming up on your last frost date quickly...mine is in 2 weeks and I'm 6b/7a...the only thing is, the ground needs to warm like critter said...otherwise, they won't die, but they will just sit there and do nothing.

My conditions are quite a bit different than the PNW too...so checking with your extension agent is the best idea...(that's what they are there for...I'm on a first name basis with mine)

Good luck, and if you don't get any answers, let us know.

Seattle, WA

I take it then that I should bring the containers inside, until April 22?

The Average frost date was supposedly March 15, but April 22 is said to be a good date to presume it's safe..

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You can leave them out in the containers if you wish...just keep an eye on the forcast if you plan on leaving them out at night.

Personally,I'd bring them in at night so you won't have any surprises. You might want to re-pot if you're not planning on setting out till the 22nd....check your long term forcast and see what it looks like...I generally push the window by a week or so, just be prepared to cover at night if temps fall.

Seattle, WA

Posted in the Pacific Northwest forum - alas, no one from Seattle is there.

:(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.