Canna Cleopatra

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

This is a pic from last year, but I wanted to post it on this forum. I just love the way all the blooms are different and the coloring on the leaves. Any other Cleopatra lovers out there?

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Same plant, different bloom.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

A little more yellow....

Thumbnail by Brinda
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

me!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM!!! so beautius!!! did you have to trim the leaves for a while before the purple blotches wove in?? i remove all the solid green shoots to help maintain the pattern?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh no....I didnt' know I needed to do that! Wow...live & learn!

But I have noticed that the more purple in the leaves, the more red in the blooms. Does that make sense? Have you noticed that?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda....here's what i think i know...hehehe....ok if the flowers come from the purple side they are red....from the green side of the leaf they are yellow...sometimes both. by removing all the solid green shoots you maintain the pattern. why is it we do this again????

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL....if you figure out that answer, please let me know!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda...do you get two different colors flowers on yours???? if not you best get pickin!! LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes tobee, I do get red and yellow on the same flower. I understand more now though. As I look at the second pic, I can see the maroon streaks up the stalk......now I know why that bloom was all red.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

OMG Brinda...i think we are speaking Cannaian...

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Those of us eavesdropping on your conversation are
having a ball.

LOL

Keep going, I find this very interesting. I'm taking notes, too! :-)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL you two! I wish I had time to play, but I have to be the babysitter today! LOL Here is my grandson.....my lil garden helper!

Thumbnail by Brinda
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda..........can you please send me some SEEDS.....that little rose bud is sooooooo cute! how long to germinate???you think i can get a few by may?? (just kidding)! you are so lucky!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh what a cutie, Brinda!

Even if you don't get a thing done today, it will be
worth it just to have such a sweet one with you!

:-)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Whew...I'm alive again! LOL I've had him since Wednesday and also trying to run back & forth to the hospital to see my Mom. He has now gone from the name lil angel to 'my lil devilish-angel'! LOL

His Mom had her wisdom teeth out today, so when his dad came home ....I RAN as fast I could. Now I feel like a free woman! I think I'm gonna poor myself a drink and go work in the backyard. That really sounds refreshing!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda....on second thought ......forget the SEEDS!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL tobee!!! I needed that laugh! Now I'm going to fix myself a margarita and go sit in the sun for awhile!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

wow....hope you enjoyed your drink...have three for me! and you well deserved it. i love it...my daughter got married last may..(the very NERVE of her! ...may is our planting time!) but anyway..since they are in their late 20's and set in their careers they were talking kids right away....and she's explaining to me how i'll be watching the baby for 3 days a week.......i'm like....excuse me...who are you speaking too...cuz i know it couldn't be ME??i had to explain to her once again how i really never liked kids that much....didn't mine carrying them or delivery....it's just when they come out is when the problems begin! worse even when they begin to talk.......i tried not feeding them...didn't work...so she wants me to do THAT again 3 days a week. NOT!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL Tobee,

I truly appreciate your honestly! :-)

I love both of my boys and one day hope to be a grandma,
(far in the future!) but I remind them all the time that I don't have time to
be a grandma right now. Besides, they are much too young for children.

I'm busy and I have things to do. Of course, if one should arrive, I would
make time, but I want to be a very good grandma who has time to pay
attention to them.

Right now, the pets don't even get the attention they need. :-(

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm with you Tobee43! I have found over the years that I don't like small children in general. I loved my son and did my best for him (he says I was a great mother but he's prejudiced!) but I was really glad when he became civilized. I have very loudly told my stepchildren and my son that they are welcome to have all the children they want, but Grandma does not babysit and when children leave to go home so do grandchildren. I'll be a little better about them when they turn teenagers, if I live that long. HeHe. Dotti

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well...what truly cured me of the kid thing was we had waited almost 8 years to have them...i did have some trouble but finally my son came along. when i went for my 7 week check up......well....there was my daughter on her way. so that was the day they arrived. i didn't remember 3 years of my life...it's just a blank. ok.......jumping forward.....they are less than 11 months apart and leave for college within 9 months of each other. well....after the first week of the house being empty i felt like my womb had been ripped from me......the second week......i'm realizing the bathrooms are still clean!!!! by the third week i began to feel guilty that i just never wanted them home again!!! unless announced and with no dirty laundry.

i do know i was a great mom and they were sometimes great kids.......but i'm finished now and i'm sure i'll just love my grandkids....it's just that it will have to be 5 minutes at a time!!!

oh!! but ps.....i really do want them at some time or another...it must be fun to watch you kids being mommy's and daddy's.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2006 7:43 PM

Ladies, I needed this!
My parents never babysat or raised my kids, and I don't plan on raising or being a built-in babysitter for mine.
It's not taken well with my two sons, at all. My oldest sons MIL has their three little charmers all the time. My youngest son isn't married, but his fiancee's mother and Dad have his son all the time-in fact he lives with them and his mommy.
It just really bothers me, that this generation of young people refuses to grow up and be responsible for their actions- still expect Mom and Pop to help bale them out of every situation they get themselves in-beit children, finances, housing, food, etc.
My sons are 30 and 37- and they still think it's awful that I don't bend over backwards to bale them out.
What happened, anyway?
I never once asked my folks to bale me out, after leaving home to be on my own, at age 17, after graduating from high school. sure, I had tough times-Didn't we all? But, we learned from our mistakes, and moved on- because that's what was expected of us.
Am I the only one who doesn't understand what is going on with the next generation?Deanna
Let me clarify, that I'm crazy about my grandchildren, and of course, my sons, but I'm just confused and disheartened by the attitude that I have somehow failed them by not taking on the responsibility of helping them raise their kids. what do you think?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well....i think part of it's mine fault with their attitudes. since we did wait so long to have our kids and we were alone where we lived...(about 3000 miles from my family and his family although closer was not someone i choose to have my kids "raised" by). we didn't want anyone other than either of us influenced my anyone so my husband was with the state police and worked nights so he could watch the kids in the daytime when i worked. both my kids were always way too responsible. actually while in college...my daughter would send back her "spending" money! both of them would work when they came home all summers every holiday break...they both stated working in high school which we didn't want them to do but they insisted. both rec'd checking accounts at 18 and were made to be responsible for paying for their "little" bills so they could learn how to cope with finances. paid off...my daughter purchased her owe house by the time she was 22 and my son has invested so wisely and has been really successful in business at a very young age. neither has ever asked us for a dime. (which many times i have no idea how they have made it).

our kids reason now which they have explained is basically the same. firstly child care expenses and early education cost have sky rocketed. my daughters attitude is based on the fact that she explained they are waiting because she needs 10 thousand dollars a year for the child care she wants her baby to have! so she's thinking i can take the baby 2-3 days...(i don't wait to!) to help set off the cost. i suppose it was compliment that she says i did a great job and she wants the same as she had. ok....so i explain to her and although i was a teacher at the time they were little that and we were so ready and just crazy about the way that we raised them, she explained she is same way. so i don't think their reason is totally based on not taking responsibly......so as much as i complain......i do understand what their reasoning is. doesn't make it any better either way

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Deanna, I certainly understand you!

But I do have mixed feelings also. My daughter is now 30 and married (10 years ago) a man that isn't at all what we had hoped for. She was raised to be responsible and is a very responsible person. Unfortunately, her husband wants every grown-up toy and manages to lie his way through getting it......or just goes out and gets it and she works overtime to pay for it. He would rather move across country than pay his bills. It just isn't a good deal at all. Long story short....she looks pretty ragged and his clothes are starched, pressed and new! Understand? (But, that is her fault for putting up with all of it.) I do not babysit for them at all, because I refuse to enable him in anyway. But that doesn't mean I don't love my grandkids any less.

My second child is a son who is 22. He married a sweet girl his own age with good values and a good heart. They both work hard and make a good living. They have just purchased their first home and are doing everything they can to save money and pay extra towards the loan. My DIL has completed her CNA and is now going to school and should be an RN in less than 2 years. She works three 12 hour shifts in ICU at an OKC hospital and is also going to school, so her plate is definately full. My son's job is demanding and he works 60+ hours a week. Their son is the one in the pic above. I help them out because I want to. (even though it's tough....LOL) I do not watch him daily, he does have a sitter Monday thru Friday. But due to the long hours that his parents work, someone has to pick him up from the sitter, and that is normally ME. Last week was hectic as his sitter took off the last part of the week, and also my Mom is in the hospital. I felt exhausted by the end of the week, but it's all good!

But I can tell you, my DIL is right beside me when I have a huge chore to do. She is always willing to help out in any way she can. I do appreciate that so much. She & I have become very close. And it's unfortunate, but she isn't very close to her mom.

I always said that I would not be a built-in babysitter. I raised my kids and they should do the same with their own. But sometimes circumstances are not what we want them to be.

Now....I also have an 11 year old. Hmmmm.....I'm wondering how many children he will have? LOL Maybe by then he'll be rich enough to hire a nanny! LOL I can only hope!!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

so i think is what we are saying is.......our bark is louder than our bites!

and lets face it....times have changed....do you remember your first house....ours what 19,000.....now my son is looking for his first home and he can't find anything under 600,000! which will need work! how do you make a mortgage like that?? so of course and i use to think they were a bad investment but they are looking condo's just because they run about 300k..........still the thought of it just makes you sick for them.

a baby...i remember we had 20 bucks extra a month...sounded like we could afford those "new" disposable diapers....so time to have a kid!! not thinking the darn things would cost us 25-30 thousand a year to college educate. oh........and let's not forget the weddings..if you have daughters....our daughter got married last may and it cost over twice as our first house did! (i got married in my jeans!) and i want to explain that it wasn't her! it was HIM. (it's too early to discuss him...he makes my tummy hurt....we had like 30 people and his family had like over 200!! what ever happened to the little girl that wanted to get married in the woods barefooted with the fairies and gnomes!! well she married someone that hates fairies!! and i have to add one more thing...which i'm so proud of.......she said mom i don't care if you get me a used dress.......the flowers are the most important thing to me in my wedding. (of course that's because i gave birth to her!). and the flowers were the best ever. :)

This message was edited Apr 3, 2006 10:20 AM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Brinda,
My CLEOPATRAS are peeking out of the dirt! They're the first plants I've planted in about 100 years! I'm so glad to have your picture of what they're supposed to look like. I'm very hopeful.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh benjamin, you will love them. They are my favorite canna and have been for years. I love watching the foliage on them and wondering what the bloom will look like. Enjoy!!! You'll have to post pics when they bloom.

That reminds me....I have some to pot up!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Brinda,
I'm about to buy a new digital camera to document my gardening. HOW DO YOU POST A PICTURE???!!! Please tell me now so I"ll be ready! Thanks.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You would need to have the pic saved on your computer to explain it.

If you have some pics on your computer...go to the test forum and try posting them.

Look down below where you are typing in a thread for the Image" bar. Click the browse button & find the pic you want to post. Make sure you preview first and then send.

There are many people on the test forum learning new things. Don't be shy. If you have problems or questions, just ask in your thread. Someone will help you out!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Brinda,

GORGEOUS!

GORGEOUS!

Love it!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh ty Wuvie! I hope we get things in the ground this year!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

BEAUTIFUL brinda!! i just can't wait to jump in!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Come on over girlfriend! The water should be warm enough by Memorial Day Week-end. LOL

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda!!! we are JUST opening ours that week! which thank you for reminding me to call for the pool opening!! i would LOVE to come!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.