brunnera - jack frost - how big?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am seeing a lot of differences in how far apart to plant. I just bought three of these. If you have one, please tell me how big your plant gets. Also are you planting in full shade, morning sun only, dappled shade? What a pretty plant!
TIA, Sterling

Dappled shade.

Mine are getting pretty big.

I've planted them about 18" apart.

Adrian, MI(Zone 5b)

18 inches sounds good. Mine are in dappled shade and I think they would grow better in a little more sun. Especially great in the spring and early summer!! I like it! Beautiful true blue flowers!
Bonnie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine are planted in only very early morning sun but in Zone 9 you can grow things in more shade than colder climates. They are flowering here right now.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine hasn't gotten any bigger than the regular one. I usually plant them fairly close together...say 8 inches aprt...maybe because it gives me more room for other things!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I forgot to say that I plant mine no more than 1 foot apart.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Mine has a spread of about 2 feet...its 6 years old. Mine gets morning sun and dappled afternoon shade.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That is a wonderful plant!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And mine has only one little tiny leaf coming up.. so pathetic looking.. That is gorgeous Todd.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Mine is just sprouting...that pic was from last June

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Mine are up, but small still. I just planted them last fall, so I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom this spring. One is is the back bed with pulmonaria cool cotton, and the other is in the bed at the end of the driveway with a love pat hosta, another pulmonaria that I forgot to mark, and heuchera regina. Should be an interesting color combination, it all goes according to plan.

Thornton, IL

Sounds pretty stacy - might that be pulmonaria Cevennensis? I remember you mentioning it last year, as I just bought mine then. Mine (I have two) are really, really tiny but they are now blooming the most amazing shade of purplish blue. I think they're too close together, and I'll probably pot them up before I move them, do you think I should wait until they finish blooming? I'll remember to space them at least 12" apart when I put them back in the ground. ;-)

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Yes, you should wait until they're done blooming. Your little tiny ones should fill in great. Mine tend to get to a full size clump by the end of year two. I'm up to about 8 different kinds now - I'm so hooked!

I think the squirrels carried my tag away - I'll have to check back through last years notes to figure out which one it is in that bed. I bought two more yesterday that are huddling up in the garage until the weather warms up a tad... another Diana Claire, and a Rasperberry Splash.

This is Silverado in bloom now. I just put it in last fall.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Thornton, IL

OOOh, those polka dotted leaves will be something to see even after the blooms are done.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is that Lamiastrum along side of it? Whoooo....watch out.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I love the spots - this is a different one - Trevi Fountains. It's neat how different the leaves are between the different cultivars.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

lol - yep. It's contained there, though. Stone walls all around. This is the bed in winter, when you can see the walls.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

pic. of the "contained" Lamiastrum.........

P.S. It climbs trees

This message was edited Apr 25, 2006 8:03 PM

Thumbnail by levilyla
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

lol levilyla!! I haven't had that problem, thankfully. You're a lot warmer there than we are. It must like you better.

By the way, the phlox is fat, happy, and blooming it's booty off! Smells wonderful, too!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

glad to here it...that will look like the lamiastrum in a couple of years....LOL

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

gosh thanks! LOL. I have lots of places that the phlox can get moved to as it spreads. The lamiastrum can stay put - i have more than enough of that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

it won't stay put

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

lol :)

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

Hey, that particular kind of lamiastrum will do that even here in Zone 3b/4a (depending on the microclimate -- I tend to plant for 4a)! I work at a nursery on Otter Tail Lake in the summer, and that stuff has gotten into the woods, vines itself over and through everything, and invades and overwhelms our display gardens whenever we are too busy to tend them. Which is all the way through the end of June. My husband saw it when he was down there mowing and thought how cool it looks, and offered to bring some home for our woods! My look of horror is only to be imagined...

Of course, it does keep the poison ivy down... ;-)

On the other hand, I have lamiastrum Herman's Pride in my garden, and though it goes to seed (which what doesn't, practically--some of my astilbes are just as bad in the spreading department, though not by seed) it can be dealt with as any other weed seedling.

Sstateham, are you sure that pulmonaria picture you posted above is really Trevi Fountain? The Trevi Fountains I've seen are true blue, start to finish...

Joan

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

About as sure as I can be - I bought my first one at the plant sale at the Chicago Botanical Gardens, and another two from the local nursury a year later. They all look alike.

Northern, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's my brunnera 'Jack Frost' today. It's about a foot or a foot and a half across. Two years old. I have to figure out how to post photos directly -- but until then, here's a link to the picture.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/JuliaTVA/April%202006/Jack-Frost-4-30-06.jpg

Thornton, IL

Those flowers are so true blue. I have the "plain" Brunnera. Just wondering, what do you have yours planted under? Nice rock too. ;-)

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Mine is looking good now.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The leaves are just superb!

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.