portable green house recomendation

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here is my review of my recently purchased portable green house 10ft x10ft.... if you have any questions email me or dmail me

I bought a portable hex green house from afg green house 275 plus shipping came to a little over 300$ http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/portable-3.shtml . This is a really good value... It does take two people to put up ( the stretching of cover and securing it only) and took about 2 1/2 hours but next time I think it should take less than an hour. It did come without one tie down that we noticed after we put up ...the MFR sent a new fabric top out that same day at NO charge and got two days later so all was well. The flexible metal piece that fits in a sewed loop on the door to give it stability is very hard to insert and do so completely !!! but other than that it was a breeze
You need a fairly level ground and I would recommend putting mulch or insulation around the bottom inside and or out... that is a weak point cold air can and does get in under the bottom of GH .... the only other weak point is the straps that loop under the bottom of frame and keep the fabric in place ARE TOO SHORT ...you really need a vise grips to gab the strap and attach it to the buckle...... The covering is suppose to have an anti condensation coating but it WILL drip when it gets hot enough but who really cares!!!

This is otherwise a terrific buy ... we had hail, 40mph winds ,snow 2" of heavy rainand a tornado within 3 miles during the first two weeks I had it ...a real torcher test and the GH withstood everything ...I did have to reattach the straps cause they are TOO short ( as stated) but the GH withstood everything without a hitch .

You do need a small heater if your like me in a northern area... it got down to 15 degrees but with a small milk heater it stayed cozy ...and the screened and zippered vents and door worked well during the day keeping it from getting too hot... I did have some trouble with the zipper during the 15 degree snow period it was sticky ...very sticky ...but that is not unusual wit a zipper.

Overall anyone that understands the limitations of a portable GH will be amazed how nice this GH is and what a bargain it is...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
David Myers Springfield Illinois

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

David,

I bought one just like it only slightly bigger, I think it was 11.5' x not sure. about 12x12, from Charleys. I love the octogon shape. Much more flexible and usable than the rectangles. I have had both now. I had no such problems as you state with mine.

I bought mine 2 years ago and I think at that time I paid $20 less than it was anywhere else. I have not tried to heat mine as they do not recommend it with these small greenhouses. So, cannot comment on that issue.

I would say for a first time greenhouse they are wonderful. I only have mine up for 2 1/2 months at the most and love it.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Jnette ...yours is the same or similar to mine ( maybe it is 11.5 ...just guessed didn't look up)..octo or HEX shaped and the high winds and bad weahter continues 35-40mph winds on an every other day basis ...rain hail snow it's taken everything ...I do heat mine with a small portable electric heater with no problems ..I HAVE TO the weather's been horrible...but it stays a confortable 60-75 inside...when the sun shines though it really heats up fast even in 30-40 degree weather so I open the zippered vents and the heater auto shuts off...I use the heater at night and when its cloudy and below 55 outside ONLY ... David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.