An 'xtree spayshall' Saturday morning

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Saturday mornings .. will generally find me snug as a bug in a rug; sleeping in and snoring to brew a storm!

The ol Coot most always gets up earlier .. to read his newspapers and makes the coffee.

With the birds starting their morning symphonies .. I usually can count on partaking of the full morning routine of a moan or two, a few grunts, stretching of the limbs and umpteen sorry yawns, and look somewhat 'alive' before the ol Coot re-enters.

I await the wakening of my old body to prepare to grasp the fresh cup of coffee that will soon arrive via my ol sweetie .. to take a quick sip, place it upon the headboard .. and to then take jes one more fast lil snoozle!!

Wellllllll, it didn't happen this past Saturday mornin' .. I tell ya.

Coot tiptoed in, rather quickly .. sat the coffee cup down on the vanity (way out of my reach) .. gave me a swift whop on my legs, and commences to issuing orders .. for me to get on up, to be quiet, to hurry up - get over there and look out the window .. where he's now standing, and very carefully lifting up a slat of two of the window blinds. (gooooood grief .. that's jes far too many instructions issued to an old dame, so early on a saturday morning!) AND, I haint had my coffee yet either!! The doggone military bugler may as well as blew reveille!!

I pull it all up, gather it together .. while asking him what on earth does he see out there this morning. He tells me to just get a move on. Wiping the sandman deposits from my eyes, I ask him if both of the momma deer and their babies are at the salt stump again .. or, if there's a big ol buck there below the house this time. I am again told (with a now growly ol voice and a face all snickering up at me) to hush up and c'mon .. and that I'm gonna miss 'em if I keep on fiddle-stickin' about.

Geeeez .. O-K already! .. Ya doggone ol persnikity old man!!

I take a peek .. and lo' and behold: sure nuff!! I let out a good (but quiet) lil girl giggle .. then, make a bee-line for the kitchen, take a grab of my camera and head upstairs! See .. there's much better viewing of the area below the house, from the upstairs front window!!

I look to see that life and nature never fails to provide us with some wonderful entertainment. I wish I could provide a video playback of the scene .. but I'm afraid that this series of pics, will have to suffice ...

Just use a bit of your imagination to fill in between the still images .. But, believe me: you'll have a very good idea of what we were privy to and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity, of witnessing .. this past Saturday mornin'.

Just hope that you guys can do a bit of forgiving about the view thru the filthy-dirty upstairs window!! (I've gotta fire that maid!!)

- Magpye

... 13 photos are forthcomin' ...

Edited: * to request your overlooking the goof-balled mess-up of the chronological order of the series! .. Ha! Can't write right, or tawk korrectly, nor count good!! .. LOL ..

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 12:13 AM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. # 1 of 13 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #2 of 13 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #3 of 13 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

I'm droolin waiting for you to load the rest of your pictures!!!
: )
Dena

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #4 of 13 .. Jr's licking the salt block, while Momma's lickin' her chops ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #5 of 13 .. Two Gobblers, two hens & two Deer ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #6 of 13 .. One of the two gobblers is 'struttin' in the background ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #7 of 13 .. Gobbler's in full fan, now ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #8 of 13 .. A lil closer shot of the proud ol struttin' gobbler! (I cropped this pic) ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #9 of 13 .. Jr turns to look at the Gobblers again! ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #11 of 13 ..

He's spotted the other turkey hen, and bounds off towards her.

All I could catch, was that white tail flag!! .. hee

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Welllll .. now haint that jes a good'un Magpye!! .. I STILL can't get my numbers strait!! .. LOL ..

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. #10 of 13 ..

I managed to mess up a couple of 'in-between' motion shots (they were much too blurred) .. but, Jr gives chase to the hens!! He paused only long enuff, to see where the two hens had run to .. and to determine his next move. One of the two hens can be seen in background ..

These goofy critters were playing with one another!! The Gobblers (that aren't seen here), remained cool, calm and collected .. and continued to strut their stuff! .. hee .. I can only figure that Jr may felt a bit threatened by the gobblers 'blowing' up, and wouldn't bother them. But he sure loved aggravating the dickens out of the hens ..

Thumbnail by Magpye

Oh Magpye, your pictures are so wonderful!
Thank you for sharing them.
You made my day.
Dena

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Doggone it! .. Sorta lost some critical chronological order there, didn't it!! .. LOL .. (oh well!)

.. #12 of 13 .. Mom has now decided to see where the lil buzzard's gotten off to, and she bounds off also ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. LAST one: .. #13 of 13 ..

The ol gobblers (which had remained back over near the ditch (to the left in the pics) .. weren't phased by Jr and his antics, at all. They continued their practice on getting their 'strutt', jes right .. for the ladies. The two of them took their sweet time, while maintaining that true gobbler struttin' form .. until they too, eventually went out of sight ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thank you! .. GRENTHUMBS ..
Your sweet comments, certainly make for a big ol smile across my face, and a bigger one .. in my heart.

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

LOL! That is so cool. I have seen the wild turkeys before, but never all puffed up like that...they look kinda tasty...*sorry*

You must thank your DH for waking you up so you could take these photos, and share them.

with your pictures and descriptions you can clearly see that Jr. is being playful.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow. That was incredible. So is your timber.

(Zone 10b)

Looks like you have a prime seat overlooking a theater. Unbelievable seeing the types of wildlife sauntering into your area. lol at the turkey birds just doing their own thing and at how playful the little deer is.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I love to see deer and turkeys together. I've got an image somewhere of a young deer eating a red apple, and a hen sauntering behind him.

Thanks Mags. It's always a pleasure to enjoy the wildlife with you.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Magpye, what a great show! I guess you don't need TV.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great series of photos, Magpye ... I can smell Spring coming from the damp leaves in the early morning air. I can hear the drummin' of the Gobbler as he tries to impress a mate. The Deer will soon be celebrating the birth of their fawns and the woods is becoming alive with music.

Magpye, have you ever experimented with a turkey call from your front porch ? It would be a fun challenge (in your spare time) to try to call in a turkey during the Spring mating season. Of course, you have the risk of turkey hunters converging onto your property looking for that invisible turkey.

Have a great week !!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh my, Linth ..
There's no tellin' how many notches .. that you've carved into the pistol grip (of which I've accumulated & deserve) - in your disgust of my shameful (lack of) ability in keepin' up with [my] threads -?-
((I'm truly so very sorry)) .. for failing to see your sweet conversational post ...

To try to lend a rather late reply to your suggestion: the ol Coot and I do have several turkey calls .. that we'll tinker with, in hopes of callin' an old gobbler in a wee closer. However, our 'scrapin' and 'racket' usually serves only to send them runnin' .. in the opposite direction. Who knows; one day .. we jes may get a decent 'noise' out of the calls! .. LOL ..

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

Marlton, NJ

Great captures Magpye! It must be so nice to see all that wonderful wildlife right outside your door.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I really enjoyed both your story and the pictures. ditto thanks

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Magpye,
I'd no sooner enjoyed your pics when lo' and behold - looked up and saw these in our front yard! They are twin brother/sister born last year. He has spikes. I can see right now thoughts of moving some hostas into my front beds are out of the question!!!!
Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

they are very curious...

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

they are always together.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thrills me, to see you guys continue to enjoy these photos & my entries.
((thanks so much, pel, sal, and fleurs))

I do tend to get a lil carried away with my rattlin' on, in trying to describe the 'ticulars to folks of the vermin antics we witness ...

Ahh, looks to've been a mite spayshall Sat'dy mornin' for you too .. 'ey, Debra?!? (hee) Ya know ya gotta luv 'em.

One of the resident does, has dropped a set of twins every year .. and from what I've heard & read; it really isn't uncommon either. They've never bothered anything of significance in the immediate yard .. but then, they've got plenty of browsing area with the majority of our property and the surrounding Nat. Forest. I sincerely believe with my heart - that they know they can find safety and comfort here ..

- Magpye

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Good evening, Magpye ,,,,

My guns are filled with notches ..... but I can't remember why ??? No apology required. My turkey calls haven't been used for years so they're probably dried out. I gave up using them when I realized how foolish I was responding to the hunter's call on the other side of the ridge. We called each other for hours !!! I'll bet the turkey were gobbling their tail feathers off .... just one of life's memorable experiences !

Just make sure that if the two of you use them, that you are in eye-range of each other.

Have a good evening.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. LOL .. Linth!! .. I gotcha: 'eye-range'.

I can so easily picture such a scene - & very clearly. And certainly sounds like something the two of us ol birds would surely do, also!

((Thank you)) I'm workin' on tryin' to improve - jes don't expect any miracles overnite, tho'. However, you DO have an ample # of guns; jes for safety sake?? .. (hee)

Should you find yourself shoppin' for another (or, type of) turkey call - check out the turkey slate calls. With a lil practice .. one can duplicate the variety of calls that the hens make/use (purr, cluck, yelp, cackle, etc.).

Take care .. and you have a good'un, yourself!

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Magpye, would you expound on turkey slate calls? Will probably be attending the Hunter's Expo soon and may have to look for them. Only one I have was hand made by my grandfather. I guess you would call it a box call? Shaped sort of like a hollow stick of butter with a second piece of wood attached to the top that is pulled across it.

Do you see large gatherings of turkeys? We sometimes see as many as 50 at a time. Have had to wait for them to cross the road like cattle......LOL!

Those are great photos you got this morning. How lucky you are to get deer and turkeys in the same shot!

Debra

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Here's a few > http://www.finalroostcalls.com/slate_calls.htm .. and .. http://www.zmanoutdoors.com/turkey%20calls.htm
(slate & glass) > http://site.mawebcenters.com/strutnjsgamecalls/_images//Glass_over_Slate.jpg

(hee) Debra/Fleurs .. the deer & turkey 'play' took place .. during March, of last year ('06)! And, is why I felt so bad for not responding in soooo doggone long!

The ol Coot has made a few of the turkey box/paddle calls .. using walnut and a couple, using cedar. He's been wanting to try his hand at the slate calls also - so, he mite jes get around to it, some time between now and Spring.

- Magpye

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Magpye for taking the time to take the pictures of your wildlife and for posting so we can all see. There are plenty of deer here and rabbits, but so far the turkeys are stay a few miles away. I see them once in awhile when I am driving up in the hills.

Donna

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

What a fun thread, Magpye! Thanks for posting--I felt like I was there too in your snugly cabin watching this wildlife scene play out and drinking morning coffee!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, this is therapy! I thought my husband was the only one sneaking in waking me up in the morning to look out the window. Nice to find another. I have been woken up to see deer, turkey, skunks, racoons ripping apart my feeder, fox, coyote, eagles, etc. and of course sometimes a combo of the above. The skunk sightings are usually followed by a "you chase it out of smell distance from the house, while I get the gun" not something I want to do when it is NOT 5:30am on a weekend!!!! Is it a wonder I am so in love????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.