petite gris de rennes melons - is anyone growing it ?

Prides Crossing, MA

I was given a packet of petite gris de rennes melon seeds this year. I understand that they may be very difficult to grow. I live in coastal Massachusetts, Zone 6. My garden is sloping south facing. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with this melon or who is planning to do so this year.

Boone, IA

We grew it last summer and plan on having it again this summer. It's very tasty and we had no more problem growing it than any of the other melons we grew. I think we grew about 8 different kinds last year. My biggest problem was knowing when they were ripe. We grew several heirloom types and one day they weren't ripe and the next day they were split with black bugs taking them over. But that might have been a good thing. We still ended up with lots and lots of melons and I know we were getting a little tired of melons every meal and I think our neighbors were closing the blinds and running when they saw us coming. It didn't stop us, we just left the excess produce on the porch.

Nancy

Prides Crossing, MA

Nancy, Did you start the seeds indoors? How long before setting out the plants? Did you grow them on a trellis? Did you use row covers? Thanks.
Lou

Boone, IA

I started some seeds indoors and direct sowed some of the melon seeds and didn't see any difference. I lost a lot of the seeds I started indoors when I was hardening them off so this year I decided I would direct sow all my melons. We have a trellis for the smaller melons but the larger ones were on the ground. I didn't use any row covers. We did have ideal weather for melons last year and we may not have such good luck this year but the European melons sure are tasty. We bought our seeds from Baker Creek and they have a big selection of all types of melons. We grew: Ananas d'Amerique a Chair Verte, Boule d'Or, Petit Gris de Rennes, Prescott Fond Blanc (my favorite), Sierra Gold, Sugar BabyVedrantais and Desert King. I'm going to use those seeds again this year and try Juane Canari and Earlidew Hybrid. Baker seeds sent me some Charentais seeds for free so we'll try those too. They're a lot of fun to grow and not a lot of work. I just hope we have as good of luck this year as last.

Nancy

Prides Crossing, MA

Thanks, again, Nancy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.