Interest in Siberian Iris/Japanese Iris

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi everybody~

I am doing a survery to see who would be interested in a co-op with Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden involving both Japanese Iris and Siberian Iris. I've also posted this in the co-op forum, so reply here or there, but pick only one so that I can get an accurate count. It would probably happen mid-summer to Fall. Each participant would buy a minimum of 1 collection (6 plants in each collection), but they would get to pick what comprised the collection from an approved list of about 15-20 plants. Not sure yet if JI's and SIB's could be combined into one collection or they would need to be separate. The price would work out to be about $3.75-$4.00 per plant and the Aitken's assured me there would be interesting cultivars to choose from (i.e. not Caesar's Brother or other common ones that a lot of people have).

Co-ops are a LOT of work, so I don't want to do one if there's not sufficient interest.

Thanks~

Laura

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, pick one? That's a tough one to do! I would be up for either. How's that?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Laura,

Is there any way we could know the names of the cvs from which we would be able to choose before making a commitment? I might be interested if I was sure there would be at least 6 Sibs that I don't already grow.

Laurie

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I just checked the website and I think I will be in trouble either way I go. So I would really like to be in this one.

Deb

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i be interested in both , but have more Sib, than Jap,
So would have to say Japanese.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Ha! I now see what you mean by pick one! I just get too excited about iris!

I'll edit to remove the post in the other forum.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 7:07 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

laurie~

At this point, I'm not asking for a commitment. I'm just checking to see if there's enough interest in general. If I decide to do the co-op, there will be a list of choices posted before anyone commits.

Laura

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

irisluvr~

I'm glad to see you figured out what I meant...LOL!

Both SIBs and JIs would be available in the same co-op. I just meant post your interest here or in the co-op forum, but not in both.

Thanks~

Laura

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'm trying to figure out if Japanese iris would possibly do anything for me here in zone 4. I've not seen anything solid about it's hardiness below zone 6. Anyone have any experience with this? Lauri?

I would most likely order some sibs, depending on cultivars, and if I could find some people who have grown Japanese in zones below 5 or 6, I'm thinking on taking a chance on them too.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ask laurief or boojum. Boojum's in a zone 5, but says she tries to pick out plants hardy to zone 4 because it gets pretty cold where she is. Laurie's had success with quite a few cultivars.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yep, that's what I figured out! And boy did I feel silly! LOL!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I do grow about 1/2 dozen JIs in pots, and they do fine for me. I bury the pots up to the rims against the west side of my house for the winter, then dig them up and bring them out front during the growing season.

Laurie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Laurie! That's what I wanted to hear. :)

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Laura, that is so sweet of you. I only wish we could grow Japanese and/or Siberians here. A couple of us have tried, but with no luck. I've even tried Caesar's Brother and a couple of other vigorous ones, but they just can't take the lack of cold winters, the dry climate, and over 110 degree weather for months in a row come summer. I wish you well on your venture!! :-)

~ Margie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, they do love their change of seasons!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I would be interested in possibly both varieties offered.

Maxine

Cordele, GA

I am interested in in an co op for iris. Is there any way to give us late comers a chance this time. The bearded were sold out so quick, it felt like a day after Thanksgiving sale but without the flying elbows.

Beth

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Beth~

I haven't done the co-op for the beardless yet. I am just checking to see if there's sufficient interest. It seems that there is.

I'll be doing another Snowpeak co-op this Saturday. Same prices, different selections. Hope to see you there!

Laura

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Laura, where is your coop located?

Maxine

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

If you mean where is Snowpeak Iris located, it's in Lebanon, Oregon.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

But Snowpeak isn't the source of the Sib co-op, right? Isn't this one going to be with Aitken's?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh, sorry about that. Aitken's will be the source of the beardless iris co-op. They're located in Vancouver, Washington.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I know where Snowpeak is as I have been there.

Now where is your coop sheet located?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

I haven't listed the beardless co-op yet. I was just checking around to see if there was any interest before I went to all the trouble of creating one. Since there was plenty of interest, I'll be coordinating one for later in the year; probably mid-summer.

I hosted a Tall Bearded Iris co-op for Snowpeak Iris that is now closed. However, I'm doing another one this Saturday, April 1st. You will be able to find it in the co-op forum here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/groupbuy/all/

It will read "Snowpeak Iris co-op #2"

Hope I answered your question better this time. :0)

Laura

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Laura,
this isn't a April 1st joke ,right ;-)) ?

just kidding,I hope I will remember even though it is hard to forget.
I would most likely be interested in the Siberian/ Japanese iris also.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

No. Not an April Fool's joke~LOL! I never really thought about it being April 1st when I picked that date.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would also be interested.
Janet

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

flowerfrenzy-- I would be interested, too.

Thank you for arranging this. t.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, tobasco. I'm still waiting on getting a list. I expect this co-op to get started next month, but I don't have a date yet.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

laura, i will be watching for it.

belinda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.