Is it too late to prune my group III Clematis?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

In the houston area, presently, day temps in the lo 70s, night temps in the hi 40s

thanks for your help

Orlando, FL

I have one clematis and it is growing. It has been out there since last oct. Rescued from miss. My mom gave it to me said it didnt grow for her an d the other day I saw some at lowes for 8dollars somthing and thought they were too high. If you are throwing away some trimmings send them to me and I will pay for the postage if they will Root???.
I did read you are or can prune them in the spring. Fran

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

The group III should be cut down to about a foot high. For me, I do this usually in April as soon as I can start working out in the yard. Have the new vines started growing into the old dead ones? If not, you can try to carefully remove the old ones. Be careful, the vines snap easily. I can't seem to go near one of mine without damaging them somehow.

hmmm. well I guess I am too late. yes, new grow had started into the old one. I tried to carefully remove some old vines and I tore off a new one. agh!

Can I just do nothing this year and prune next year? Some plants I bought last spring, some last fall, and they stayed in pots. I have now planted them inground, to grow thru my roses.

Fran, I think these are too young to divide and the little branch I accidentaly tore off would have not made it through the mail. Hopefully next year I will have some to share.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, I'd wait til next year and that means next spring. Do not do it this fall. I don't know the reason, but if you prune in the fall, the plant will probably die. It probably won't look too bad. I had one I didn't get to last year and the only problem was that it just looked so huge with all the dead growth underneath the new.

We need to find the thread where Wallaby was giving instructions for cuttings. I'd like to do some this year also. Maybe the one about Debbie's new website.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

yet another clematis lover chiming in....vossner, one year I didn't get around to trimming my jackmanii until I was seeing new growth all over the vine, but I cut it back to 12 inches anyway, and it was fine- bloomed just fine... but it sounds like you already have new growth twining all over the place!- you know, it may just be the most spectacular year ever just letting it go as beaker ch says! The new clematis you have in your roses might benifit from some pinching to thicken them up if they are babies with one or 2 leaders. That has actually saved the life of some of the little ones I have planted that sort of stay fragile and spindly if I don't pinch them back at first.

will do. I fell in love w/ clematis over 3 years ago. My first purchase was Nelly Moser because it was part shade tolerant. I guess I didn't keep it cool enough and it went dormant on me--I gave it for dead. Then was delighted 2nd year and 3rd year when it has come back strong.

I don't have many or fancy ones,- jackmanii, ville de lyon, dr. ruppel, mrs. bateman and carnaby. If all goes well, my next purchase will be Avant Garde, from that new clematis website everybody is talking about in another thread. I dream about that one!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm a true believer in cutting those Clematis vines back! I would rather cut it back NOW and sacrifice a few early blooms, than to have one or two spindly vines. I prefer my Clematis with LOTS of stems and flowers galore!! :~)

Welcome sjms from another Clematis lover!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

thanks Shirley! it's great to have folks to share the enthusiasm with. I'll be one of the last ones to get blooms up this way--meanwhile I've followed the advice to place a substantial order from silver star vinery....!!

sjms: It won't be much longer....start singing the song, "Anticipation is making me wait...."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.