Why are japanese maples so expensive?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I would love to get one of these for my sister, but they are so pricey. What do they cost so much?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Everything is realitive!!!! to one person .50 is too much to another $200 is ok . You can pick up small stuff on ebay for 15-25$ or you can buy a large 4+ year old tree from della at http://nurserygirl1.tripod.com/index.html
for around 60$ ...BTW she just got a bunch of really nice different , unusual stuff ..about 60 new trees ...email her soon if your interested they'll be gone quick REALLY GOOD STUFF. And her shipping is cheap about 10$ to your area .....

Also any true to name Jm's are grafted and there is alot of work involved in that ( labor intensive) and a relativly high mortality rate...and it takes time to grow a tree to a saleable size ( unless you're into twigs). Even Jm's grown by seed ( mongrals) are a hassle .

Now if you want really cheap generic seed grown crap you can get that on the internet for under $10..but you get what you pay for

If you go to a local nursery you will pay alot but it will be an older tree more like dellas stuff ...but they got expenses and haven't yet trained monkeys to work for them or have invented virtual greenhouses with perpectual motion heaters so expect to pay more .

If you are just looking for one spectacular tree then save your money and wait and get one or contact Della she's the best in the business ..honest ...great customer service, great prices for the size and age of plants, cheap shipping and super quality products ...and she is REALLY a nice person David

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I just got an Aconitifolium from her this weekend. David, she mentioned that she has someone in Springfield that buys a lot from her. I can only guess that she is referring to you. She has great service and even took a 2nd pic in the rain of the plant cause I couldn't decide between 2 Aconitifoliums that she just got. Can't wait to get it.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Willis I guarantee you that you will be happy with it her stuff. It is hand picked and almost always the best...you are right she does photos unlike most others on the net who couldn't be bothered or substitute a stock photo maskerading as the real thing .... The only "bad " thing about it is it makes ya a picky customer no matter how easy going ya are...choosing is MORE difficult cause of the pics ...give a kid in a candy store too many choices and there be a line of others out the door waiting ;>) but I'd take the confusion caused by photos anyday over the vegas odds of getting a tree sight unseen!!!! David

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Exactly.

Lake Dallas, TX

1. Most are grafted.
2. High mortality rates
3. Extremely slow growth
4. Extremely sensitive to conditions

I started out loving these maples but have realized they are way too fragile for most of the South. If you want a cheap one, search your local Lowes or Home Depot. They had tons of plain red maples yesterday for $20 that are about 3' high.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Ah, my sister has her heart set on a japanese maple for some reason. I am going to build her a pond and she wants one to put in the oriental garden that will surround it. It is the least I can do for her. She survived cancer and then nursed her husband who also had cancer. Thanks for the website, it might just do!!!! Everywhere locally was one hundred and fifty.

(Zone 10b)

I can't believe four year old trees at such a cheap price are being offered at that site. I was about to make a few orders until I saw that they don't ship to CA.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I take a little issue with seedling maples being called 'cheap crap'. (Sorry to take issue) The problem with them is that you can't tell what they will look like ahead of time since they aren't true to type.

This seedling japanese maple is probably the most asked about maple in my garden and I have some really lovely ones. I planted it because it's in a very windy, sunny place and I'd tried some grafted trees that just didn't make it there. Seedlings are much hardier than the grafted cultivars in general.

That site is good and tried and true so it's worth getting a tree from them at those prices. That's what DG is all about!

Just be sure to find out from the grower what kind of environment the tree grew in before it was shipped. If it was in shade, introduce it to it's place gradually or ask the nursery to harden it for you. I learned this after losing quite a few.

And if you decide to do the Lowes or Home Depot route, toward the end of the season when the potted trees aren't looking so great, you can get some good deals with trees on sale.

Thumbnail by doss
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Sorry Doss of couse a seedling can be beautiful ...but the reality is you don't know what you are getting ...they are cheap in general but crap is probably a bad choice of verbage...better put cheap unknown or JM roulet.... If I had unlimited space i might buy some but for most of us we ARE limited and I think spending a bit more on a cultivar that you KNOW what it's ultimatly gonna look like is the smart way to go ...Any seedling plant can take up to FOUR years to show it's real colors and most say that they should be at least two years old before you purchase them especially if they are rooted to insure they will make it.
As far as Dellas stuff she will always tell you how it's been raised ... if she just bought it it's been in a green house ...if in summer under shade cloth ...if she's had it a while all her in stock trees are OUTDOOORS most VA.in full sun. And yes she doesn't ship to Ca. and a couple other places ...and if she did the shipping would be expensive and take a week.I don't know if I posted this here or on the garden web but most times it's always best to buy from internet dealers on YOUR side of the mighty mississippi whichever side that may be ...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

David, It's fine - and yes, I agree, I'd most often like a grafted tree and I have a number. My seedlings are all landscape trees in windy hot places. The one in the photo was the result of giving up and growing a seedling maple after trying to grow three grafted trees and failing, but I've never lost one since I've learned to harden them.

You'll laugh but my Japanese Maple expert says that seedlings are like snowflakes, no two are alike but all of them are beautiful. I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder. :-)

Most folks don't ship to CA because of our agricultural inspection requirements. We don't have any places with prices like those at Dellas but Mountain Maples is a good one. I'm lucky enough to be able to buy from some local suppliers without mail order.

You gave great advice - I just couldn't resist rising to the "Crap" opportunity - sorry.

Willis, you will love your Aconitifolium. Mine is one of my very favorite maples. It is endlessly beautiful and changing.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I have never heard a bad thing uttered about an Acer Japonicum, especially the Aconitifolium. I also bought a Green Cascade from Greer which should get here in mid April. That one is a little smaller, I think a 1 gal.

I also have a seedling green Japanese Maple that I got from Forest Farm last spring. It was a 5 gal around 5 ft. I like it a lot so far as it has bright red foliage in the spring, up until around mid June, then a nice green, then a yellowish/orange fall color. We will see how it pans out. It does need some pruning this spring.

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

There is one little problem with my Aconitifolium and that is that it doesn't drop it's leaves. It may just be too protected. Your seedling has a lovely leaf shape and nice form right now. I like the way the trunk twists.

And Green Cascade is lovely. I love the leaf shape. And It looks as if you have lots of room for your Japanese maples.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It is getting crowded fast. Maybe when I finish the beds this spring, I'll finally post a picture of the layout so people can tear it apart. I was happy about the trunk shape on the seedling also.

Doss, I am going to be driving up Hwy 1 from LA to San Fran and camping along the way near Big Sur, Monterey, San Fran, and Sequoia/Kings Canyon in early May. Is there ONE place you would recommend in or very close to San Fran to see Japanese Maples, conifers, or an asian garden? Time is limited otherwise we would keep going north towards Mendocino.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The best Asian garden is in Golden Gate park, called quite straight forwardly The Japanese Tea Garden. It is small but quite lovely. I haven't been there in a long time but I can't believe it's changed. They have a nice tea house there. That is quite a trip you are taking. Of course the conifers in Sequoia can't be improved upon! A variety of conifers I don't know. That is a very interesting question. Hopefully they have some in the Japanese garden.

Have a great trip. I'm sure that it will be memorable with all of the wonderful places you are going.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

We were already planning on the Golden Gate Park. so it is good to know that it won't be a waste of time. Any good nurseries that specialize in maples or conifers?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

you might want to give Robert at mendo maples a call

http://www.mendocinomaples.com/availability.html

he seems like a nice fellow and I'm sure would give you a tour if he has time ...this is the busy time of the year for him and all JMr's so i can't speak for his or any others availability...David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Also http://www.regannursery.com/also_in_stock/japanese_maples_list.htm

Don't know much about them but they have a big selection of Jm's and they are in the SF area...David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My local nursery which is in Atherton (near Palo Alto) Roger Reynolds carries over 75 cultivars. Sadly, the expert just retired though.

Wildwood Maples in Sonoma has a over 300 kinds. I haven't been there personally
http://www.wildwoodmaples.com/

Regan's is in Fremont across the Dumbarton Bridge from Palo Alto. They are highly regarded in the area. They are also a rose specialty nursery.

California isn't a great conifer place as zone 9 isn't the right zone for many interesting conifers.

When are you going?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I like to buy the gallon size because the price is usually less than $20. They grow so fast that in a couple of years it is as big or bigger than the $60 one I passed up.

Here is my 7 year old.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Here is a broader view of it. I also like growing them from seeds to see what I'll get - the price is right and they're hard to beat.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is one happy acer!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

All I can say is Wow.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

There are those that can't afford to spend money on a nicer tree and have lots of time on their hands to grow it up I can understand THAT. I personally think, especially in non perfect jm areas, the bigger and older the plant with a more established it's root system the better chance of survival ...but thats just my theory.

What I really bemoan is what I call the "walmart syndrom" of buying cheap stuff , if you got the money to buy something better, ...it bugs me... like driving up in a 60 grand car and wanting to buy the cheapest shirt on the rack ...it bugs me...As far as seeds, if it's a cheapskate thing that bugs me too, but if you got room and are not choosy and plenty of time on your hands .... and /or lack the money to spend on an established named cultivar go for it.... David

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Doss, we'll be there in early May. I think I'll swing by the Regan place as most of the other ones are too far north for this trip. Maybe next time. I guess I'll just have to settle with the redwoods and sequoias for conifers.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you enjoy roses, you'll love Regan's also!

South San Francisco, CA

Willis. If you're coming up HWY 1 and want to see Maples allow me to personally invite you to Tyler's Carlmont Nursery in Belmont. We're just over the hill from HWY1 and we specialize in Japanese Maples. Unfortunately we seem to be the best kept secret in the Bay Area :-( But I'm working on that.

I currently have 108 varieties in stock with just under 1100 trees total (2 gallon to 36" box)and would be more than willing to show you around. It's an interesting place and we hosted our 9th wedding here a few months back. No truth to the rumor that they're naming their first kid "Acer" ;o)~

Check out our maple selector at www.carlmontnursery.com for a complete list of varieities available.

Let me know when you're in town and if you're interested!

Take care...

Gary

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Gary, you are a very well kept secret. And you are almost a neighbor!

I'll be sure to mention you in the future and when it's possible I will certainly come visit.

Here is my green maple I dug up from my old house last year. It was around 15 to 20 dollars in a gallon pot when I bought it about 5 years ago.

P.S. It is still in the burlap sack sitting on top of the ground that I put it last summer. Pretty amazing how tough they are! Hopefully will find a permanent home for it soon.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Dallas, TX

OOOO WEE, HCM! It look just like my little green one! if I was at home I would show you mine. :)

Sylvia@work

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely! When are you planning on giving it a place in the garden?

ASAP. We've hired a landscape architect recently and he's suppose to come out tomorrow for measurements. He says he should have the plans done in a week or a bit longer so we'll see.

San Jose, CA(Zone 8a)

NurseryDude, the Carlton web site is excellent in terms of descriptions and photos of all the various maple cultivars. Nice job and nice variety! I recently posted a new thread requesting help on IDing one I've had in a pot for years, before I saw the Carlton site. Couldn't locate it there, either, but sure did get my plant buying fingers itchy...

Doss, I've bought roses at Regan's but didn't realize they also specialized in Japanese Maples. Will have to check 'em out the next time I'm up that way. I too like Roger Reynolds as a nice neighborhood nursery (even though it's a little out of my own neighborhood).

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Suzette, don't know if you have one, but Carlmont is having a special on Sango Kaku (coral bark) maples. 25% off the week of April 15 - that's this week.

I can't wait until the browsers pick up the Carlmont site.

I'll go look at the ID site you had. No promise that I can help but it will be interesting.

San Jose, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Doss. Unfortunately, I'm sitting on my hands right now (helps explain the typos, huh?) because I've just redone the hardscaping in my front yard and have oh, about 100 1-gallon cans waiting to be put in the ground if the weather ever dries up. I plan to put the unIDed maple in the mix if it doesn't get too, too big. They've never been a vice of mine, but after seeing all the incredible varieties in the last few days, I think I have a new jones!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Because of the bark it can only be one of a few I think. The question is how big will it get? The link I gave you on Mountain Maples is good but remember that the size that they give on their trees is sometimes half of what ours grow to here.

There is one small one among the rough barked group but I think that it's likely to be one of the bigger ones.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, it may be cheap crap, but I just bought it anyway.

Acer palmatum 'Inabe Shidare'.
Walmart - $16.97

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

If the tag is right and it is grafted ...check the trunk and it looks healthy ...it is not cheap crap but just cheap...I bought several Jm's ( non grafted) from walmart maybe 10 years ago and they are nice trees ...all lived...The atropluplurium is now about 15 ft tall and really nice ...see the thread on "flowers" I'm gonna post a pic of it in the next few days since it's in full bloom. I NEVER tell folks I bought it at walmart ( that I personally know ) cause that does imply "crap" but in all honesty it is a really nice tree and I paid 25$ ( regular 45$ such a deal !!! ;>) ) for it ..I think it was about 4-5 ft tall at the time so that would make it about 13-15 yrears old I figure...David

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, it's grafted. I don't know what constitutes a good graft, but the tree and everything looks healthy to me! :-) It's small, about 2 feet tall, maybe a little more, but it has a nice shape AND IT'S MINE! LOL. It's my first one. :-)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I have two of them and obviously paid much more ...if it's two feet from the soil level ALL measurments should be from there cause when its plante thats it height ,...the pot and roots are NOT part of its height ;>)...that's a nice size inaba probably a two-three year old... A good graft should not be unsitely or too crusty or mangled ...it is one that either in now nearly unoticable or looks like it will a few years down the line ( this is my opinion others feel free to be more specific).Is it a high graft or low graft ? ...that would help age it and how thick is the trunk...A low graft would be 1-3" obove soil ...a high one can sometimes be 24" up the trunk which yours being 24" is probably not most are 12-15". Most of that type of dissectums are high grafts... but a staked JM with low graft is IMHO superior less unsightly...growers often do high grafts to sell larger trees faster... BS IMHO.I think everything should be low grafts since most will dissapear in the soil over time and be unoticeable...any type of tree can and if necessary should be staked. I have grafted this year both ways but probably will NOT in the future only low ..David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.