Started some plants in tubs today.....

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

! cabbage and 4 bibb lettuce plants in this one. Another with one cabbage and 3 lettuces plants and a 3rd with swiss chard and radish.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's the 2nd with cabbage & lettuce.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Have you used these before or is this something new you're trying this year? I was thinking those plastic tubs might make good planters. How many and how big of drainage holes did you put in? Did you put anything in for drainage at the bottom?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

beaker, I've used them for tomatoes for several years with excellent results, never tried cabbage/lettuce before. I've got a dozen 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of each, nothing for drainage.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

big red - what gallon size are those containers??

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

HERBIE43, don't know the exact size, probably around 10 gallons. I saw these at Wal Mart's a few weeks ago for $8 each, I believe they're 'wash tubs'. I've had mine (5 of them) for 8 years, this is my 9th, so they last a long ime.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Red, do you think a person could put 2 determinate tomato plants in one of those Walmart 10 gal tubs?
thanks, Michelleb

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Michelle, don't know why not, they hold plenty of dirt, and if you feed them well. I ve never tried it, I don't raise many determinates, only the Johny's 361 (which you can't get anymore).

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Red. I may try getting one of those washtubs at WM and try 2 Hard Rock maters in them. They are determinate seeds I got for free from Totally Tomatoes when I ordered the Sungold.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I have one of those that I've been using for years for collecting my yard waste. I found when using a taller bin or trash container that it really hurt my back and for some reason using a shorter one doesn't. It's about half the size of a regular trash can. I switched to using contractor waste bags as the regular leaf bags don't fit the shorter bin.

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi ya'll, I'm new here, learning a lot and happy I joined- I'll have to upgrade my subscription b/c it looks like I've found a home. I just bought one of these rope totes today from HD for $5.99 to go with another that I use to haul yard waste over to my neighbor's compost pile. Also, they fit nicely in a half-barrel (20 - 30 gallons) as a pond linner. I've planted cabbage and flowers in a half-barrel; but never thought of using a tote as a planter- great idea and they sure are lighter.

Bernie

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

We can get 55 gallon plastic drums for $15.
These were just sitting around when we bought this property so I cut them in half long ways. Used 3/4 compost manure and 1/4 peat moss. Aint that dirt perrrty?
Now what to plant in it.

You might be a redneck if you use barrels for planters.

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey redneck! Nice idea cutting them in half length ways. Did you make your own compost or did you use store bought? Yup, that dirt sure is perrty!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

i cheated---its walmarts compost manure. But the neighbors here have horses. I am gonna collect their poo and compost it. I don't know how to compost manure but gonna learn. and quickly.

Cricket

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

It's easy, just mix it with lawn clippings if you have any, wet until moist, pile it up and let it cook! Or, if you're not using it until next year, just pile it up with nothing mixed in, cover it with black plastic and let it sit. Black gold!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

ew i bet that stinks.
I have a pick up truck bed liner. that should work to store the manure in. Then cover that with black plastic. ewww thats gonna stink so bad lol.
So , I dont have to turn the manure --flip it around for air or nothing?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

It will compost faster if turned but time will also do the job.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Started 2 Amish Paste tomatoes in tub containers today. Here's a picture of one of the two.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Same plant wrapped in poly.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

A peek inside.....if a frost is predicted, I just sit a milk jug filled with warm water inside the poly, works great! No need to cover unless you're expecting a real hard frost.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Hillsborough, NJ(Zone 7b)

OH you gals are SO creative!! I use them as bins for tiny toys... what a great idea for planting! I am always looking for huge pots and they are really expensive, this is just perfect. I was in Michaels today and they had all these sprays for texturizing planters and things... I wonder if it will work on here! I would love a cement look on them.

Thanks so much.. !
Annette

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I've been using white painter's buckets from Wal Mart... Not very expensive. The down side is that they are VERY white!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

flowr---I did not know walmart sold the painters buckets. You are talking about the five gallon empty buckets right?
how much do they sell for?
White is good during the summer. Not as hot.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Well... maybe it was HD or Lowe's... It's been two years ago. They were about $3-$4 two years ago. White works for me :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cricket, you can get the 5gal painters buckets at HD for under $4 each.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's one of them nearly a month later.

Thumbnail by Big_Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.