Hoop Row Covers over eggplants

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Has anyone built their own? Last year I used a floating row cover and it worked pretty good. The plants were a little bent by the time they were big enough for the row cover to come off. From what I have read I can make the hoops with 9 gauge galvanized wire and add the row cover on top. I did find a 13ft row already with the hoops for $48!!

Should I start looking for the wire?
-Kim

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

bluekat, here's what I made

http://www.davesgarden.com/forums/t/583861/

It only works in lengths of 5 feet, so maybe that's not what you need. I use any weight fabric or plastic on it, and it's strong enough for me to throw a heavy thermal blanket over it, too.

Hey Zeppy
HMM i m growing eggplant for the first time, and i have herd of the flea beetles, covering them helps protect them ?
when do i need to start protecting them? when planted or when baring fruit?
thanks
sue

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Never grew 'em, Sue! Sorry! I did use floating row cover (Reemay or Agribon) on my okra to protect them from Japanese beetles, but that's all. My potatoes had flea beetles, but they were manageable with a few spritzes of neem oil.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

taynors/sue...you'll need to watch those eggplant from the very first day you set them out. Flea beetles will really attack the plants when they are young and vulnerable. Oftentimes a good dusting of talcom powder (repeated) will repell them but must be used often. (Once the plants reach a height of 3 ft or more you'll see very few flea beetles/damage on them.) And yes, the neem oil will certainly help as well. (Zeppy, have you noticed how Neem seems to have repellent properties also? Or is it just my imagination?)

Also, since I have so much mint growing around here, I've made mint tea and used it as a repellant spray.

If you go the reemay route, I'd cover them the day you set them out and be sure to anchor the cloth at the ground so no one can slip under!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Shoe is right. I put the cover on the day they went into the ground. I learned the hard way the year before - between rains and schedules the beetles won the battle. I will mulch under the row cover this year, the weeds had a party under there!

-Kim

Thanks a bunch
I was looking into Neem, i have stuff for catapillars but not flea beetles, i will get some .
thanks again ,very much
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.