Buckeye a late leafer?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought a bottlebrush buckeye and right now it is still fully dormant. I have no experience with these plants. Are they usually late to leaf out?

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Buckeye's in general break bud very early! I some Red Buckeye's in 1 gallon containers which are already leafing out and were exposed to 28 degrees this morning without any apparent damage.
I would think that any stock that was wintered in your area would be fully leafed out.

conifer50

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I check it every now and then to make sure it's not dead. The stem is still flexible, so I know it's alive. Maybe in the next week or two I will start seeing some action.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Container-grown plants will often leaf out earlier or later than their counterparts that are planted in the ground. It will often take a year in the ground to get them back to their "normal" schedule of leafing out or going dormant.
Mike

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

bottlebush buckeye! so under used ...i'm putting in 10 in my shade garden area just can't wait to see them all bloom. aesculus parviflora.

so do you have the white or the red, (aesculus pavia) since they are different in their growth habits....white is more the bush type while the red is more tree like.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Mine is aesculus parviflora.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

the aesculus parviflora fairs best in shaded areas they get about 10 feet by 10 feet although you can keep them pruned down. there flowers are white longated and really nice!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

E-guy:

I don't think you've got anything to worry about, except you may never have boiling water at this rate.

I have most of the native buckeyes planted here; their sequence of emergence is Aesculus pavia first every year, then Aesculus glabra, with Aesculus flava/octandra and Aesculus parviflora rounding out the spring releaf.

Most of my red buckeyes have broken bud and leaves are unfurling. Ohio buckeyes are reaching out; bottlebrush are still tight though the slightest green is showing on the south exposures. Yellow buckeye has some swollen buds but none broken open yet. And this varies with provenance, along a south-north continuum.

Now, if you are really concerned about your plant's performance, you might check into Aesculus parviflora 'April Anticipation', Aesculus parviflora 'Impatient Impulse', or the very rare but much sought after Aesculus parviflora 'Unrequited Love'.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is the picture of 'Unrequited Love'?

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

V2, whoever "named" those last three buckeye's mentioned just kept getting better and better or maybe it was you, you hopeless romantic, who put them in this order. Who could resist anything named unrequited love. Ken

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have seen Aesculus parviflora "Unrequited Love" paired with Betula x "Renaissance Rejection," the weeping birch, and it was a natural! I heard there was a new birch coming out that sounds like it would make a nice combination with A. p. "UL." Something like Betula x "Rennaissance "Master of One's Domain," but I might have that slightly wrong.

Scott

With Scott chiming in, can Jane Austen be far behind?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

At this rate it should be leafing out about the same time as my pecan trees. That is fine because that is the type of tree that I planted it under.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm in Alabama 7b; my red buckeyes are well-leafed but my 2 bottlebrush buckeyes are just starting to break dormancy. Give it a little time.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

My buckeye is still fully dormant. Everything else is leafed out. The stem is still flexible so it still should be alive. Maybe it will start leafing out next week. It is soooo dry here, so I have to water it every other day.

Thornton, IL

We are having a lot of rain here, my husband says whatever the weather is on Easter Sunday, that's what we'll have for next six weeks. I sure hope he's wrong. ;-(

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

PGz5,
My grandfather used to say something similar: "If it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain for the next 7 Sundays in a row".

It rained here yesterday, I sure hope that isn't true...
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

PG, I'm like Escambia -- we still need more rain down here to fully recover from last year. I just wish I could bottle it and release it at my convenience. I guess that's like wishing I could tell the deer what to attack and what to leave alone . . .

Escambia, by this time, I suspect your late-leafer buckeye is a dead-leafer. Hope not.

Guy S.

Thornton, IL

Mike - You're right, he meant the next six Sundays! I sure hope not, we had severe flooding last night, and now my basement carpet is soggy. ;-(

I guess my hundred-year-old house has a leaky foundation. I'll have to plan my gardenig projects for Saturdays. Great.

Guy, we've been talking about getting a rainwater saver here, they do exist. They look like barrels that attach to your drainpipes. Now if you could figure out what to do about those pesky deer, we have some great venison recipes too, including chili.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I noticed today that the Aesculis parviflora at the airport are leafing out. If they're leafing here in Cincinnati, yours should be showing something!

Scott

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Aesculus here also leafed out--I vote "goner" as well.

Guy--you said "I guess that's like wishing I could tell the deer what to attack and what to leave alone . . ." Here's what I would tell them if I had this power. "Pssst..hey you there, hey...deer.....first, eat ALL the Japanese beetles, and when you finish, eat each other."

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I just noticed today that the buds are finally swelling. It's about time!
If we could just get a good hours worth of rain right now that would be good. Right now I have to get out there every day with 5gal buckets and water everything. The grass is even starting to turn brown. Our next chance of rain is Saturday and thats only 30%.

Thornton, IL

Kevin - ROFLMAO

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kevin,

Me too. The ROFLMAO part.

Scott

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Kevin, Me three!!! Make it happen and you'll own the gardening world!

And PeeGee, please come on down here and take a few dozen back home for venison chili. We use old-fashioned rain barrels here (7 of them) and also try to keep some 200-gallon tanks filled from the creek (until it dries up during a severe drought, like last year). Safety hint: We also place wire-mesh lids on the rain barrels to keep birds and kittens from drowning, and we apply BTI occasionally to keep skeeters away.

Guy S.

Thornton, IL

what is BTI?

I can just see a dozen deer in my little suburban yard. The look on my husband's face would be priceless!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I am guessing it's a form a bacillus thuringiensis, or BT, for short.

It's a harmless (to humans and animals) bacteria that kills caterpillars and prevents many creatures from morphing into adults (as is the case with the BT that controls mosquitoes). I'm not sure what the "I" stands for, but it could be the actual strain of BT that Guy is using? That's just a guess.
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Mike's got it. I'm a lousziey spelllar but I think it's B. t. israeliensis or something like that. You can buy it as dry pellets or tablets and just drop them in standing water (small decorative ponds, rain barrels, stacks of junk tires waiting to be set on fire . . . !)

Guy S.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Escambiaguy, I'm way ahead now; the 2 bottlebrushes are leafed and one of the red buckeyes is blooming. I guess it is rain-dependent. At least you've got buds.

Thornton, IL

Guy -

I may have to get some now even if we don't have rain barrels, for my neighbor's stack of junk tires. Are they safe for bird-baths? That would really set my mind at ease.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I believe so, but it's better just to flush the birdbath every few days to keep diseases from getting a foothold anyway.

Guy S.

Thornton, IL

Oh right, thanks.

Do birds have feet?

Thornton, IL

escambiaguy - when was the last time you washed your car? That always does it for me! ;-)

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Do birds have feet?

Silly girl! But I do believe the BTI is totally harmless to birds, even if they find an undissolved pellet and eat it. Still, read the label. I'd do it for you, but the stuff is way down the basement and I'm too beat up from planting to climb down there for you right now and check it.

Guy S.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
even if they find an undissolved pellet and eat it.
Quoting:
I'd do it for you, but the stuff is way down the basement

You're going to eat a BTI pellet when you can get down in the basement??

You know Guy, Resin. He's not one to do things half way. Remember the movie: "The Fly". He probably is experimenting right down in that basement now, thinking any adaption to help him dig is a good thing. :>]

Thornton, IL

Zikes!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Aaarrrrrgh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.