New stuff growing

Louisville, KY

I figured I would go out to the greenhouse and take some pics of the new hybrids coming along. Most of these will not be released till next season. I am not yet sure which ones and how much stock will be built up before release.
I am sure from the pics that you can tell I love dark foliage cannas. The more odd and unusual the better some look more like Hawaiian Ti plants than cannas to me.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

This hybrid has some long leaves that are very narrow. Most of these have grown out one season but should get mature this season. Odd look for a canna.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

This one has some cool coloration on the new leaves then turns a purple to maroon color. So far so good.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Show us the blooms when the really get going, these look very interesting. Do you keep journals of which 2 you crossed to come up with the new ones?

Louisville, KY

I do keep some info on certain hybrids but I have tons of unknown hybrids were I dont have good records. Things crossed with say the purple or the highly variegated plants I keep track of but when I do around 500 to 1000 hybrids with one variety I dont have much to go on besides looks. I can tell from looking what some are specially with intrgue.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

The variegated leaf and darker colored foliage varieties are very interesting. Ever thought of working with Stuttgart and changing the bloom color?

Louisville, KY

Yes I have a few seedlings coming up very interesting slight variegation in them.

hmmm......please post pics of those once they get up and running, I'd really like to see some of your future prospects that are developing out of those.
I'm trying to get up your way this summer on my way to Ohio...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.