Gardenias

Madison, AL

Can anyone suggest the best gardenia to grow in a pot (in a greenhouse in the winter)? Is there a special florist type that does not get very large? Planting them in the ground here in North Carolina has not worked well in the past as they tend to get frosted every spring and, therefore, never bloom after the initial time. Thank you.

Fulton, MO

I have three container Gardenias in the GH. The newest, tallest one is unidentified, possibly it is 'Mystery.' Too early to tell about this plant.

The oldest is a compact, dwarf cultivar which I'm pretty sure is 'Daisy.' Nice plant... lustrous foliage, and not too much in the way of pest problems.

The newest, youngest is 'Four Seasons.' It is very small, in a 4" pot, too early to tell about this plant, too.

Hope this helps.
SB

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Stillwood, I have about 12 gardenia plants that have been in the ground here in Raleigh for about 15 years. Unfortunately I don;t know the name, but I do know that they came from a nursery , and not a florists shop. A lot of people get them from a florist as a present and then plant them outside and they don't do well-
If you go to a good nursery in your area, they will have the types that do well outside here. They need lots of sun, mine are not protected-they are out in the open. In extreme weather, they might have suffered some leaf damage, but they always bloom every year. Good Luck!

Madison, AL

Thank you both. I am out in Granville County, NC - not far from Raleigh. Maybe I will try outside again with some new local plants. Looks like a nice weekend coming up - time to roam around some of the local nurseries in Raleigh and Wake Forest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.