Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

I am curious if anybody has a how to for a worm box? I am wanting to start worm composting.

I am also look for ways to make a homemade compost tumbler?

And is there anyway to compost meat and dairy scrapes

We are attempting to recyce or reuse as much home waste as possible?

I currently just have a wire composter, and wanting to make a tumbler without spending 150 to 200 on a tumbler

ANd I would love to make a box worm bin for the casing

So if anybody has directions it would be great thank you ~A

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 1:22 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe this reference will help:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/compostfacility/worm1.htm

Yuska

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

whoops

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 8:55 PM

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

kidsncatsndogs --- Do a DG forum search (upper right corner of this page) for "vermicomposting" or "worm farming" or "worms" or "homemade worm farms", etc. I am positive you will find all kinds of useful info, hints, and how-to help. This is a very frequent and popular topic on DG. Have fun.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Below is my quick and cheap method.

History of project:
I wasn't sure I would want a long-term vermicompost setup. I wanted something that would be very easy to try out. If it didn't work, no big loss of time or money. It turned out to be very successful.

Materials needed:
2 - 5 Gallon Buckets (The two buckets must fit snugly together at the top rim.)
1 – Section of floating row cover (Any light material would work. An old sheet, pillowcase, etc. It needs to loose enough to breathe, and tight enough to hold in any fruit flies, crawling worms, or anything else that hatches in the bucket.)
1 – Light bungee cord (you can substitute a piece of string)
Newspapers

Tools needed:
Drill
Very small drill bit (I used a 3/32

How to:
1. Drill holes in the bottom of one bucket
2. Place bucket with holes inside the bucket without holes
3. Fill bottom with soaking torn up newspaper pieces (shredded paper has not worked well)
4. Add a small amount of compost to the bucket
5. Add a small amount of food to be composted
6. Add the worms
7. Place a wetted newspaper (not torn on top for shade)
8. Place floating row cover over top of bucket
9. Place bungee cord around bucket top to secure floating row cover

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

thank you, so if I am understanding it is pretty much a floating row cover.... THat is a for wormy? Do you have a picture available? Thank you Annie

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

The floating row cover "lid" is to trap any fruit flies that could get out in the house. Vermicomposting is an indoor activity here in MN. The fruit flies are a nuisance if you don't have the cover. The benefit of the gauze-like lid is that you have full air flow into the bin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.