My precious widdy babies!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Aww, aren't they adorable?

These are a few little Marabout just waiting to be big enough
to move outdoors.

As the seed nub appears, they are moved to little peat pots,
then when the first leaf appears, they get their very own big boy pots.

LOL.

I'm so excited!

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Wuvie,
They look wonderful. Good luck with the toddler stages etc,,,
Jackie

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

This is sooooooo great! I at least have pots that look like those. Pretty soon, I hope to have stuff peeking out of the soil. Wuvie, what potting medium do you use? I got my 10 Stuttgarts Friday and need to prepare to pot them. I washed and sterilized pots yesterday, so they're ready for me when I get home today. I also have the caladiums, and hostas waiting to go into pots. Come back, good buddy!

Pilgrim

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Wuvie, those are so sweet! I've never grown cannas from seed, so I'm thankful for this forum. I have lots to learn!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i'm jealous!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, Tobee, no, don't be jealous, be inspired and join me! :-)

Have you ever grown from seed? It is so much fun!
If you provide the right environment (which is easy) you get to
see results almost every single day, great for an impatient person
like myself.

Benjamin, honestly, I don't use anything special. Just little peat pots and
then when they are big enough, a nice mix of ingredients including a
base of prefab mix from Lowes. Then I just toss in extra goodies like sand.

Every day I am pulling more babies out of the soak and into peats. I just
started them recently and already have 28 of them either in pots or sprouting
out of the peat pellets.

Much fun!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

i have just thrown my seed in a pot and let it do its thing...lol....works in fl.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL Bob, you're lucky to live in such a beautiful climate.
We're in Northeastern Oklahoma where there isn't a whole lot
of gardening outdoors until about this time now, so we have
fun indoors.

They are getting so big! It appears the weather is going to behave for the
next two weeks, so these little guys are moving out soon.

:-)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

wuvie...no i can't start them from seed because of the space problem i have. i have a entire room...i'm ashame to say that i overwinter what i have. the sun room and the small greenhouses are used for expensive annuals seedlings which i use well over 1000 a year. when i see a new cultivar, canna's are easier and cheaper for me to purchase one or two and then store them for the winter in peat. i.m not even able to pot them up until the 3rd or 4th week in april and then they can't go out here until the final day of may.

but wuvie i have to say..........your "black" OMG??? what color flower does it have?? (need to know! or i won't be able to sleep!)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

do canna seed germinate true to the mother plant they came off of? I have germinated some before and they didnt turn out to what they were suppose to be. Been scared to sow anymore. Maybe i got my seeds mixed up. ek I am goin to use prescription bottles to save seed this year.

those are nice little babies wuive.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Cricket,

The species will remain true, but hybrids will likely not look like their
parents, thus the multitude of new Canna out there. You never know,
you may grow a very unique plant from seed, or you may grow something
'less' spectacular than the parent.

I love them all, even if they don't look like Mom.

:-)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I've had trouble getting seeds started, but once they get started, they are awesome to watch! They grow EVERY day!!!

Looking good!

Wuvie!
I've got wunderful news! My common, garden variety Canna lilies (Cleopatra?) that I bought from Sam's Club look just like your in the photo you posted! THEY LIVE!!!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

*cough*

You bought Cleopatra from Sam's Club???

I tried to buy them from my favorite Canna source, but they
were sold out!

Sam's, save one for me!

Congrats, Benj!

Wuvie,
I bought two boxes of canna bulbs. There are 20 bulbs each in them, 12 of some other variety, and 8 Cleopatras in each box. I planted the Cleos first, and most ALL of them are coming up in the containers just like your pictures above. They look really strong and healthy, too. I paid $14.88 for each box at Sam's Club.

P.S. Before I knew any better, though, I planted more than one bulb per pot. There were sixteen total, and I put TWO per pot. Is this ok, or should I expect to divvy them up into single pots?

WUVIE!
I got my camera! LOOKIE! Canna Stuttgart's from tubers! Growing in the shady corner of my patio.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

One more shot!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Holy cow, you did great!

Aren't you on top of the world to have your
camera? I don't know how we ever lived without one.

I'm thrilled for you!

Kress, TX

why is it that the cannas I planted on the east side of my house came up before the ones on the west side? I planted them all in the same weekend. I have two on the west side (lucifers) that absolutely refuse to come up.. what can I do? And one more question, can cannas survive the winter if they are "houseplants" or do they just naturally go dormant? Thanks.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

My cannas came in for the winter, but they weren't happy about it. They looked so ??? when I put them outside for this season that I'm not sure they're going to do much. The year before they did better in the basement. They never went fully dormant, but they did sort of stagnate, and when I put them back outside, they grew quite nicely. Never did flower though. I think it was too shady where I had them. This year I will did them all and cut them back for a real sleep.

Good luck with your other question - it's a mystery to me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.