Pruning by (or buy) the book

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Willy Met had a question on another thread about pruning a specific plant: Oregon Grape. I brought up by way of response a question that others feel demands its own thread. What is the definative text on pruning?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Definitive is as definitive does.

The oregon grape holly thread mentioned a pruning text by George E. Brown, The Pruning of Trees, Shrubs, and Conifers. I believe this book was originally printed in 1972 and has had subsequent reprints. I DO NOT own this book, so I am not casting aspersions on it or its information. I am providing information for consideration by the final users of said text and its ilk.

Mr. Brown brings/brought copious knowledge to the gardening world with this book, and I believe it is based on experience in the United Kingdom. This is a great place to garden, but everything done there is not applicable to the rest of the world, and could be possibly a problem in, say, Presque Isle WI for example. And I'm not a xenophobe, either, having visited and craving for a return across the pond to tour amongst our British brethren's bounty, especially their beer.

I suggest that gardeners look for information that is based in trustworthy experiences as locally as they can, and as recently written as possible. There are a plethora of texts listed at the Amazon site; how does one begin to sort through them? The great thing about the Web today, is that you can get a preview without even going to a bookstore. I'd still go to a bookstore.

For North American gardeners, look for texts written with North American experience and perspective. Some listed (and these are NOT in any order nor with any endorsement) include books by Lewis Hill; Cass Turnbull; Lee Reich; Edward Gilman; David Joyce; and others among the 612 found with an Amazon search.

The consternation among gardeners wanting to learn something is summed up in this review:

Quoting:
I was given this book as a gift and found it completely and utterly useless. It's just a book full of words of little instruction. Nothing detailed or specific. No helpfull drawings or pictures. A total disappointment.

Well, you can look for yourself to see what the writer was referring to. I took from this the usual confusion of an individual that knows "what I want" but doesn't find what they expect. This is where seeing first, buying next, is a better plan. We all learn differently: visually, verbally, hands-on, internetically, etc. Each of us have to find their comfort zone.

If you can't stand "...a book full of words..." then maybe you need to take a class or go work for someone that you respect. Come to KY; I can train anybody to prune properly and I have 15,000 acres of park land to practice on (most of which has never seen the sharp side of a saw).

Pressed, I would recommend Gilman because I've heard him present information and I respect his rigor in research. Shigo also presents solidly research scientific information, though he has been a lightning rod in some circles. The fascinating things to be learned are not the "recipes" for pruning, but how the ingredients interact.

Kind of like being taught to fish, instead of being just given one meal.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
The fascinating things to be learned are not the "recipes" for pruning, but how the ingredients interact.

Exactly!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

VV,
I guess I just don't understand enough about pruning to understand your comment that pruning in the UK would be different than here. Although I have refused to buy and returned other books by British authors that recommend species based on how they grow there, I wasn't aware that I should be considering British pruning guidelines to be likewise unreliable. What are the differences I should consider? For instance, I have a Picea omorika that has deer damage to it's leader and I need to try to establish another leader. Is this the type of subject that I should look for an American mid-Atlantic reference for?

As for the Amazon review by a non-professional, this book is quite full of pictures where they are needed (at least enough for me) and the fact that so many individual genii as well as cultivars are addressed is why I like this reference. I don't understand how the reviwer could say that there is no specific information.

edited to say, Here! Here! British ales quite are yummy. Just don't prune after you've had a few. :)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 12:10 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

...Or you may end up several digits shy of a pint!

Agree with just about everything you wrote...especially liking the genii. I'se likes the unusual plurals.

I didn't say that British information was unreliable, but that it might well not be applicable to situations and conditions in North America. Plants growing in the UK can have radically different behavior than most places over here (my frame of reference), so thus the comment on "local as possible." Would 'twer there a pruning author for every county and township, but maybe a regional source will have to do.

What may be perfectly collateral info from Britain (or elsewhere) is tree biology. The stuff of Shigo and others, where making the proper cut in the proper place at the proper time is important, and ramifications of decay from insects and disease in overall plant health when a tree is trying to recover from natural or manmade insults.

But when the topic of pruning comes up, it is most often in reference to manipulation of what a plant is doing on its own, in order to more shape it anthropomorphically (in the human image or intent). Knowing how to prune for health as well as for aesthetics puts another leg on a well-crafted stool. Which can still fall over, which is why you need that beer stein for support.

Let's imagine an extreme example, to make a point of discussion. Look up Mr. Brown's pruning regime for Rhododendron, a plant known to survive somewhat in the British Isles. I daydream about walking amongst the huge Rhododendron strigillosum up Inverewe way (sp?) in May 1997; it still makes my minute sharp, stiff, straight, and appressed hairs stand on end. I bet old George's recommendations may be a bit different for Rhododendron over there than what you might want to do in VA, and rightfully so because you could justifiably consider some of them English Kudzu. It will be because of quite different climate, soils, hydrology, etc. from which arises the plant growth behavior differences.

Now, I will greedily eat, swallow, and enjoy all my own words if Mr. Brown lists recommendations based on widely differing growing conditions regionally as well as continentally. That would be a fine and comprehensive reference indeed, and worthy of every gardener's bookshelf along with a paperback copy to carry around the yard.

I'm not going to count your mention of a deer-damaged leader on Picea omorika as germane; that's correction of an injury which doesn't carry the same connotation as pruning (though you may use some similar tools in implementing a solution). I wonder how much deer damage the Brits get, normally? Probably a lot more lost leaders on conifers due to fat starlings and ravens (like the crows, blackbirds, and mockers around here) rather than hoofed browsers. I have to deal with this same problem on two Serbian spruces at a friend's house, in fact. I'll tie a bamboo stake into the crown and train a vigorous side branch to it until new growth from there starts vertically and stiffens.

I listed the Amazon review because it made me laugh; "...a book full of words..." I hate when that happens! And you've noted that it had enough pics/diagrams for you, but obviously not enough for him/her/it, genius notwithstanding.

York; can't remember the pub name; Tennant's Ale. Wow. Can't get it here to save my soul.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Vladivostok Vladimir,

I will thank you not to discuss your appressed hairs on these public forums, Mr. Smarty pants!

I do believe there is a highly esteemed book on pruning by Christopher Brickell, whom I think is another Brit. I'm not sure the comprehensive pruning text covering all locales and all eventualities has been written yet. Until it is, I think we shall have to make the best of what we've got, apply common sense, and show pruning-prudence--you can always take it off later but you can't put it back on.

Scott

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Ahh, Just like "measure twice, cut once".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.