Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings

North Brunswick, NJ

Here are a couple of seedlings from a cross I made in 1994 (!) with pollen from Hipp evansiae ( a tall-growing white-flowered species) daubed onto Hipp papilio. The plants grew into spectacularly blooming clumps - they peaked around 2002, I guess - but have been going downhill since then. In a few weeks I'll tear the clumps apart and start everything over again in fresh potting mix. I call this first one "Strong Markings," although I don't believe the markings are quite as pronounced as they've been in the past.

Ray

Thumbnail by rrog2001
North Brunswick, NJ

And this is one that I call "Green." It grows very tall - too tall in proportion to the flowers. Since the previous one ("Strong Markings") is shorter, I crossed the two last year and am waiting for the results . . . to be revealed in a year or two.

Ray

Thumbnail by rrog2001
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice job!

Was there much variation in the seedlings on the whole?

Are you going to continue breeding this line to nudge them onward to see what they might still become, to tweak the markings?

Robert.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Oooh! That one is just charming! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Robert.

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

gorgeous!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

wow- how pretty- i really admire the patience and skill you have to do this. i've wondered whether crosses are hard to accomplish- i've tried in a rather careless way with various hybrids, but the flower stalk has always died without setting seed- really very lovely- both pictures.

North Brunswick, NJ

Robert - I'm definitely trying the tweak the markings as well as the bloomstalk height and number of blooms per stalk (more than two would be nice). However, the seedlings from last year's cross are still in their community pot and must be separated soon if I'm going to start seeing the results within the next couple of years. You asked about variation among the original seedlings - there was quite a bit, but I felt only "Strong Markings" and "Green" were worth keeping after several years of observing them. A few seedlings took themselves out of the running by simply petering out.

sjms - Successful crosses are part luck and part knowledge based on experience. I had no way of knowing if the papilio x evansiae cross would take, but luckily it did. Plenty of other crosses failed, especially ones of hybrids with species. But crosses of my related hybrid breeding lines (more on this later) almost always result in big pods with lots of fertile seeds.

Thanks, everybody, for your compliments.

Ray

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

worth the wait and work!! keep us up to date!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Those are absolutely beautiful.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have tried crossing hybrids, always the Dutch type, and ended up with lots of orange flowering bulbs. Most looked like the species that grow in Brasil. I guess I will have to change my parents. The plant you call 'strong markings' is spectacular. Nice job. I have a Hipp plant on my trading page if you want to get rid of one of your offsets.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Every once-in-a-while I come to this place and I admire these seedlings. I presume that "Giraffe" is a "Mule" out of the same parents.
Every body who raises seedlings should know, that from the first bloom the "maiden bloom" on, the respective bulb loses its viability to a degree. This differs depending on the individual genetic make up. However, this subtle loss explains why you might hear about a crossbreeding result once and then never again.
Some bulbs are like "(1-)day flies" (may flies) and if their flowers are not superb then these bulbs are not worth the further efforts.

Zephyrhills, FL

Rrog and Haweha Have the most promising seedlings of Papilio crosses that I have seen yet. All are quite beautifl in themselves,but show much promise as parents.
Del

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

rrog.. very nice plants !!! i have several common amaryllis bulbs..got huge over the summer (outside planting)
so looking foward to maybe couple flower spikes :)
i saw on ebay a calif grower that has many "hybrid" crosses he/she has made on hippeastrums.. some are
off the papilio some from other S.American natives.. im intrigued..
most offered were small bulbs/seedlings (1-2yr olds) so question??? how established do the hippeastrums
have to be before you can expect blooms??
its great to have many enthusiasts that try their hands at new exciting plants and flowerings
much thanks !!!!

Zephyrhills, FL

Bulb size is the foremost determiner of blooming. I know of first blooming times from eighteen months to fourteen years.
Del

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks npublic.. maybe when the weather gets a bit warmer..i'll buy some interesting hippeastrums..
i love them all..but im a sucker for anything unusual.. LOL :)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

14 YEARS?????? Gads, I'd be dead by then. LOL

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i see several hippeastrum crosses up on ebay..im guessing they are smaller bulbs
with side bulbs.. so not sure how soon they would bloom..
i think the mix of "red/raspberry" colour in with the green ..as ones i see on ebay..
would make a real nice flower..
they are 2-3 " bulbs.. think it will take them a yr to bloom???
thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.