Planting under an oak

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello, I usually hang out in other forums, but I have a question best asked here.

I have two old beautiful oak trees that I don't want to harm. Currently I do have some hosta under them. I would like to add some other plants to eliminate as much grass as possible. I know oaks don't like to have their roots disturbed. How close to the surface are the roots? How much digging can I do under them and how close to the trunk? There is a spot I would like to put in a shrub or two, but wonder if that would be too much digging.

What kind of perennials are best to plant under them if any? You can see what is there now. On the hill itself are mainly sedum that don't require much digging.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 2:02 PM

Thumbnail by zenpotter

Most plants that would be indigenous to an Oak or Oak/Hickory Savanna or a deciduous Woodland should be fine under Oaks and Hickories. Athyrium angustum should do well underneath your Oaks.

These are a few you might like to consider:
Uvularia grandiflora
Penstemon digitalis
Geranium maculatum
Aquilegia canadensis
Polygonatum biflorum (very elegant)
Hepatica americana
Mertensia virginica
Aster macrophyllus (very pretty and I'd like some of these myself)

For shrubs I have planted the following under my Oaks, but... I purchased my shrubs as bareroots and slipped them in the ground with a planting bar-
Corylus americana
Symphoricarpos albus
Viburnum spp.
Physocarpus opulifolius
Ceanothus americanus
Amelanchier arborea

For grasses/sedges, these should do just fine-
Hystrix patula
Cinna arundinacea
Bromus pubescens
Juncus tenuis
Carex pennsylvanica
Carex stipata

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Epimediums do well. I have several kinds and species you'll see when you come.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Regarding the root issue. Oaks are a joy compared to something like Maples. Usually the roots are fairly deep and spread out.

Epimediums are indeed nice...if they can handle zone 4.

Check out Iriqois Beauty Aronia, which I think is a nice plant. If Fothergilla are okay in zone 4, those are great.

Scott

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

equilibrium- Your whole list is native to MN, so I can get away with some shrubs if I get bareroot, that is good news.

Leftwood-I checked on Epimediums, I didn't realize there were so many of them. I am ollking forward to seeing them.

Decumbent-yes Epimediums grow here so does Iriqois Beauty Aronia and it is a beauty.

Thanks all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.