shrubs or trees

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I'm sure there's already a posting that answers this, but I wasn't able to find it...
What kind of small trees or shrubs do well in containers (as a tall, background plant)? And would they survive zone 5 winters without having to put the container in the ground (ie, if it's in a whiskey barrel)?

Thornton, IL

Just saw this Sunday at the local nursery, 'Graham Blandy' boxwood. The only ones for sale separately were chlorotic, so I didn't buy any, but I'm on the lookout now. Also want to look at dwarf conifers, they should be well watered and mulched lightly before winter.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

There's really very little in the way of limitations on what woody material you can grow in containers. Key, are soil selection and an appropriate watering regimen.

It's difficult to suggest plant material based on the little info you shared. Evergreen/deciduous? How tall? Sun/shade? I can say that if you intend to provide no additional protection from zone 5 winters, you should select plants with roots hardy to at least zone 4.

Al

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I think I would like deciduous. It would be a sunny spot. i'm open to suggestions for height....

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have 2 new in 2005 Boxwood in those new light weight containers and left them out all winter and they seem fine, so far anyway

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Well, taller trees do topple easier. Acer (maple) is a good choice in containers, particularly the ones with striking bark, for winter interest. Fagus s., in 'tri-color' or purpurea pendula would do well & could be easily kept neat because of its weeping habit. Salix (the Japanese willow, forgot species - integra?) would be a vigorous grower & pruning could be as easy as cutting back each year. Various Zelcova, Carpinus, species and even Ulmus parvifolia do well in containers.

The appearance of almost anything you select will hinge eventually on your pruning eye.

Al

Plymouth, MI(Zone 5b)

Cottage_Rose, did you put any additional protection around your boxwoods or their pots? I love boxwoods and would love to try a couple in containers this year. I was thinking of using those light weight foam pots too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.