How To Keep Japanese Beetles Away?

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi All,
So excited over the new canna Forum, Look's like they had tried it in the past? Sure hope we don't lose it again.

Anyway on to my question, I live on 15 acer's, I have put up numerous traps for them, at a distance as advised, but they still devour my Canna foliage,
Any solution other than the traps & going around EVERY day with a jar of gas scooping them up???
SICK OF BEETLES EATING THEM!!!!!HELP, :)Anita

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh, sorry, now that I have read the other post's, I see they just got moved to here is all, so this is brand new:)

Louisville, KY

Seven dust or seven spray helps but it only works until it is washed off so you may have to spray multiple times. But it does clear them up alot.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Don't put JB traps near the cannas.
It's like inviting them to dinner .. (o:

The fact that you live in the midst of acerage doesn't help a lot. My farm is same scenario. You can control small areas, but not acres of feeding JB. When they cut the hay here, JB head for the cannas in droves )o:

The best that has worked for me so far is a light systemic with a sticker applied regularly during JB season. It doesn't stop them from feeding entirely, but usually they die while they eat.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks bwilliams, I never thought about seven's, do you think the dust would be OK? I have LOT'S of that, but no spray.

Abutilon, I don't put the traps even close, I put them WAY away from everything, as I know the traps lure them in.

Linton, IN

Please be careful using Sevin dust (and its progeny). Sevin dust on flowering plants ends up getting onto the bodies of pollinating bees. The bees take it back to the hive and the hive dies. Bee keepers around here beg people not to use it.

I recently saw another product (manufactured by the same company) called Eight. It states that unlike Sevin, there are no harmful effects to bees -- it only kills the insects once they have taken a bite. Apparently death is immediate. This solution does not allow for dangerous poisons to be carried away, killing beneficial insects too.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I have heard the four o clocks are a japanese beetle deterent. In spite of the four o clocks invasive tendencies I have noticed japanese beetles going belly up where these are planted. Supposedly they eat some of the four o clock plant and die. I`m tempted to believe it. does anyone know for sure?

Frankfort, KY

Rid your yard of grubs which mature into Japanese Beetles. Also, they feed on grass roots and then moles feed on grubs. Do not put out traps. They just attract more beetles.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

you might try sprinkleing Bran over the plants i use to use it on my potato plants when i lived in va the bugs eat it and it clogs theam up and they die it worked really well paul ps put the bran on after you spray the plants with water

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the help:)Anita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.