Suggestions for tomato supports

Atlanta, GA

Hi Everyone,

Curious to know what kind of tomato supports have ya'll had great success with? Last year was my first at vegetable gardening. For a newbe I would say it was a success but was not very happy with my tomato staking abilities which consisted of tall thin stakes and twine. A very bad idea. My vegetable gardening area is rather small due to the fact that it shares a common space with my perennials so I need advice on a caging system that will allow the tomatos to grow vertically as much as possible rather than flopping all over the place. I am considering one of two styles of caging system from the "gardeners supply company". A wee tad expensive but both look very effective. Please advise.

Cheers and thanks for your input. Amy

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 10:45 AM

Do you have space to put in a "fence"? I have two EMT (cheap at hardware store) poles I have just stuck down in the ground. I use a sledge hammer to get them down quite far (no cement that way). Then I just tied on cement wire or hog wire to the poles. Now I can grow indeterinate tomatoes vetically and they take up very little space. I also bought an arch at big lots for $6 and placed it lengthwise over my garden bed. On one side I manage indeterminate tomatoes, malabar spinach and yard long beans on just one arch. I have OODLES of space below this system to grow many other vegetables.

GGG

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i went to lowes and bought some tomato cages. they form a triangle and are about 4 foot tall. they are about 6 dollars. did wonderful. when folded up they look like a rectangle.

Patterson, GA

I happen to have a friend that has bamboo growing in his yard. I recieved permission to cut some down and take home. I put 5 ft tall poles of Bamboo into the corners and cross members along side of the tomato's. This is four along the lower portion and then four more about three ft high up. I secured the cross members with nylon twine ( won't rot) and then placed two ft pieces of bamboo across these long cross poles.You can also use (zip ) ties if your splicing needs work This provides uniterupted space for the tomato plants to grow upright but not outwards. My tomato plants are now over 5 ft tall and loaded with just starting to ripen fruit.

You can also do just one set of uprights with cross poles end to end but you will have to train and secure the plants to the poles. I suggest using old nylon stockings for the ties. This helps to gather Nitrogin from the air and direct it to the plants. Not only a good use for old nylons but they strech as the plants grow.

I am new to Georgia, having retired and moved from CT last july to patterson GA.

Remember to plant the new transplants 3/4 the way up the plant, leaving just 2-3 inches exposed. This will set more roots along the buried stem and help to secure the plant firmly into the ground and also less water needed during the summer months. Mulch with pine straw three to four inches deep around the plants after they are 1 ft tall.

Before planting, work two tbl spoons of 10-10-10 into the soil along with compost,fish heads (if you have them) and after planting work 1 quart of composted manure into the soil 4 inches from the plants.

My garden with 16 tomato plants cost a total of 18 dollars with the twine,manure,and fertilizer and transplants. Of course this includes left over fertilizer and compost for other plantings in the garden.

Any questions about organic and least use of chemicals in your garden contact me at fishermanpauljl@aol.com. I am NOT a Master gardener but my father and brother both are and have learned much from them without taking the last courses.

My garden is now 80 by 85 ft and growing (excuse the pun) It was all lawn just last september. No weeds and all raised beds. P.S I had my first RIPE tomato yesterday.

This message was edited May 25, 2006 8:08 AM

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow georgia is being invaded at every corner! Patterson is a small town, I'm also an original northerner.

You can also use just a bamboo pole and use twine, the stubs where branches used to be can hold the twine from falling.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

My dad used to stick each end of a long pvc pipe into the ground (each end in different rows) and tie the vines to it. It actually looked pretty nice and made an archway of tomato vines.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

OK...I buy posts from home depot that are designed to hold up fencing, about $2 each, black plastic with hooks to attach fencing or mesh along the length of them, and spiked to go into the ground. Then I order vegetable trellis over the internet ( I think I got it from Gurneys) which is a white mesh with about 5" holes and a 60lb test. It works great for me, and is pretty inexpensive, and reusable. Problem being, the mesh is 5' high, and the stakes are only 4' high. OK as far as the tomatoes, but unfortunate for peas/beans.

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Amy! I know it is late in the season for a reply, but I just joined DG and came across your posting. This is my third year gardening in Georgia and growing tomatoes. I've tried the cone shaped wire cages, stakes and twine, etc...but last year and again this year I found a great ready made solution at Home Depot. They are called Ultimato - The Ultimate Tomato Cage. A little corny, but they work so well. They are packaged with three upright vinyl clad metal stakes and six heavy duty clip on cross pieces for about six dollars. A little pricey, but boy do they work, they can really hold up the plants, mine are well over 5 ft. tall and loaded with fruit. They are easy to add onto, reposition if you need to and if a branch grows out under a cross piece you just unclip one end and corral it! Easy to clean and store and reuse. Happy tomato growing! VJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.