March 25, 2006

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

So. What happened to Spring?

Came home from work yesterday and found the big ol' matriarch ewe with tripletts in the barn. I had overestimated the time it was going to be till she delivered and I had put her in the barn last week with all the bad weather. It was pretty chilly still yesterday. But , still there she was with all those babies up and dry. What a good mom she is.. .. I went up later in the night and checked on her.. All is well. I doubt she will be able to take care of them all forever. But they all seem fine for now.

We should start calving next week.. The cows are bagging up. My one big white cow looks like she will deliver first. I think I am proudest of her. I raised her from a bottle. I will post pictures , over on the Poultry and Livestock forum when those babies start coming.

Going to a vineyard today to pick up grape vine cuttings. I am going to try to start them in my greenhouse. They just throw all their trimming in the ditch. I hope they haven't dried out too much.. I have been too busy to get them earlier. At least with this cold they should still be dormant. At least worth a try since they are free. Except that it's about a 45 minute drive and there are gas prices to consider these days. I thought I would help them when they get ready to harvest their grapes.

What's going on at your place today?

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!