Do Morning Glory seeds come back true?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I planted a Heavenly Blue Morning Glory last year which bloomed beautifully. Yesterday, during spring cleanup I noticed the vine is loaded with full seed pods. If I collect and plant these will they come true or revert to the little purple flowers? Morning Glory is an annual for me and doesn't reseed on it's own. This is the first time I've seen full seed pods. We did have a very mild early winter.
Pixie

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8a)

Pixie, I lived in Reno, NV for quite some time and planted morning glories. I harvested the seed pods and shared with friends and family. They all had morning glories come.up. I always had my plants reseed themselves to the point that I had to "weed control". They would sprout up everywhere! Now that I've moved to Pahrump, not sure if they will do as well, but I want to try them.
LUVNIT

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I lived in zone 9b and the morning glories were even more, uhm, prolific. (Hi - I'm in Silver Springs, NV 6b - an invasive California weed; moved to NV this summer)

BTW, there is a thread on the MG formum at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/568568/ that gives a brief overview about seeds coming true from plantings of mixed types of MGs.

Warren, MI(Zone 5a)

I live in zone 5a and I have had blue morning glories reseed from the same plant for 3 years now. They are an annual in my zone also. I did nothing but let the seeds fall to the ground and they came back true blue, with more than enough plants to cover a chainlink fence at the back of my veggie garden. I would guess that if you wanted to plant the vines elsewhere, you could pick the pods and sprinkle them where you want them to grow if not where you had the original plant.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I planted them, they sprouted, now I just have to wait.
Pixie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.