Growing MG up a maple tree?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a very large maple tree (that I hate) in my very small front yard. I have Star of Yelta, Minibar Rose, Flying Saucers and Milky Way. Can I train them to go up the tree? Since there are so many big roots right there at the base of the tree, do I need to dig/drill a hole in the ground and fill it with compost-amended soil? Will they do okay with only part sun? I plan to start the seedlings indoors in peat pots. TIA, Tamara

Denver, CO

Tamara;
Direct sow most MGs. They just do better for the most part. Don't amend, they bloom better in poor soil. (Plus, your tree would rather not have it's feet messed with) Your biggest problem is that they will bloom so very little, but they will grow. I have seen several instances where shaded MGs just don't flower.
Pity you have that big tree preventing you from a sunneir garden, perhaps you could try some shade plants?
K. James

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

:-( I was afraid of that. I am a total "in denial" type gardener. I just hope that if I want something to work, it magically will. lol Well, one side of the trunk does get ample sun and that's the side that faces the street. If I'm going to only get flowers on one side, I guess that's the side to have it on. ;-) I'll post pics in summer to show what ended up happening. Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.