New here

Manistique, MI

Hi all, I'm new on here. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Looking forward to reading all the good advice. I am wondering one thing.......what is a good flower that can hold up to some wind, I've tried several in this particular spot and they all ended up being too fragile. Any ideas? Thanks!

Melissa

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Melissa,
Is this a sunny or shady area?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Melissa.

Cindy

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Melissa.

Brenda

Manistique, MI

LOL, sorry guess I should have put that in there too. Its in a full sun area. Thanks.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Melissa ...I hope you have fun here!!. :o)))

Loretta...

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome MLH - I wrote a response early this morning but it went poof!! How about some coneflowers - they are practically indestructable or russian sage.

We used to vacation up by you at Sprangs Lodge - it was between two lakes of course I can't remember their names.... Maybe there were Big Manistique and Little Manistique - is there such a place??

We had a couple of inches of snow this morning, but it has melted off already. Sure is taking a long time for spring to come

Manistique, MI

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

sarv48, thanks for the coneflower idea, will have to try that. There is a Big Manistique Lake and North and South Manistique Lake all by Curtis. They are about 45 minutes from the town of Manistique where I live (go figure!). Our snow is mostly gone but still cold. I better not say that too loud or we'll end up getting a blizzard in April! :)

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

How about coreopsis, or Dianthus?
Indian Lake is the lake by Manistique. We spend every Labor Day at the State Park there.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey - now the memory is jogged- it was by Curtis!! Small world...We got caught in a storm on the lake and thought we were gonners....no motor - just oars - but that was eons ago....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

melissa welcome to the site!
I have been busy with family here last week-they left last night for alabama!

I live on flat f very open farm land where everyday is windy, i do have to stake the delphiniums. but for the most part everything else grows well, maybe a little tilted! ;)

Lilies are usually strong n iris, daylilies,columbines......and more.
Is it a wind tunnel-cuz that can burn plants right up!

good luck and welcome to the group!
dori

Manistique, MI

Thanks for all the advice! Will definitely have to try some of these ideas. So are there any other "yoopers" on here besides grannymarsh and myself.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

MLH529--Are you going to the Bay de Noc gardening Conference next month?. It's my first one in da UP and I'm pretty excited about it. Looks like a great agenda.
I'm not truly a Yooper, just a trroll who has seen the light. But our dog was born in the Soo.

Manistique, MI

I don't know anything about the Bay de Noc gardening conference but will be looking into for sure now! I wasn't actually born here either, moved up when I was 5 but hey we are close enough right.....we can be honorary "yoopers".

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

http://portal.msue.msu.edu/objects/content_revision/download.cfm/revision_id.281148/workspace_id.-30/2006%20Garden%20Conference.pdf/

Try this link. It may be filled up already, if not--Get your $$$ in quick !!! That is, if you're interested.

Manistique, MI

Well I am bummed....I called today about the gardening conference and it was filled already and theres a waiting list. Oh well, better luck next year I guess. At least then I'll know about it ahead of time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.