Growing potatoes

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I have grown lots of things in my veg. garden but not potatoes.
I just bought some seed potatoes at Cenex.
The seed pot. have many eyes on them.
Can I just cut between each eye and plant them separately?
The clerk at Cenex says to dust the cuts with something like sulfur.
Do I need to do that???
I want to plant this weekend so help me please!!!! Any other tips are appreciated too.
Thanks, Carol

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I do roll my seed potatoes in sulfur, but only after the cuts have healed over. You don't have to do this. And I let them sprout and then green up a bit. Generally, I cut a seed potato that's the size of a chicken egg in two. Two eyes per piece, and eyes up.

Pototoes like very acid soil.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Acidic soil? What's that? LOL

Bummer I had planned to try potatoes this year having never grown them before, but we have very alkaline soil. any suggestions?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Zeppy for your tips. Never knew that pot. liked acid soil, interesting.
Tombaak, throw lots of coffee grounds in the soil then.
Carol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Daisy. I grow potatoes in soils that range from pH 5.6 -6.8. Some of the best yields were in the limestone soil of the New River Valley at pH 6.8. I have never encountered alkaline soils, so have no experience with that. Like Zeppy, I cut to mostly two eyes per piece, leave them exposed for a couple of days to let them scab over and plant. If rot is a problem then sulphur (an excellent fungicide) would help. I have never had to resort to it. Mine do better ( I get a better stand) with potatoes that have not sprouted, but they will work either way.

If your soil is alkaline like mine (up to 8.0 in this limestone!) you can dig in some peat moss and some agricultural sulfur (I do this most heavily in the potato bed). Roll those potatoes in sulfur, too, to help them out. You can also mulch them with chopped leaves, and even hill them with those leaves, if you do several inches thick. Don't give them any (fresh) manure at this point as it causes scab. I'm sure they'll do fine.

Tombaak, long term amending w/ compost, chopped leaves, straw, manure, etc., will help that soil out a great deal. I also add any pine needles I can find. But I do dig a little sulfur in as well; specially where the potatoes will go.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok great. Thanks.
Now the next question. The box says to plant them 12-15" apart and 30" per row.
Is this what you guys do???
Carol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just about. I use 12 x 36. That's about the closest row setting I can use with a tractor. The closer row spacing should be fine with hand planting and cultivation. Back when I was young, and had plenty of straw from the threshing machine, We would plant 12 x 24 and then cover the entire patch with 6 inches of straw. No cultivation, called it lazy bedding. Works great, but straw is too expensive today.

San Jacinto County, TX(Zone 8a)

Haha, I was hoping FD would jump in.

Pic is my automated planter!

I grow mine where I haven't limed for at least a year and never use manure or mushroom compost which I use heavily otherwise.

When I use fertiziler in this area its usually triple 13 for many things.
[Not potatoes]
5 10 10 for taters & 0 20 0 over that.

When I cut them, usually try for eyes 2-more and the size various. Big marble size whole.
I found out years ago, you come to a size that's to big or to small or no eyes you plant it. It'll most likely grow. Pieces that appear to large I cut again.

I do use sulphur! Usually I plant appx 125 pounds. As I cut them up I sprinkle a coating of sulphur over each layer.
Every couple of layers I shake the thing I'm cutting into. It holds about 25 pounds.
Cut spuds are wet and it sticks to them. They'll dry alright with the sulphur on them. In a day or three I plant them.

My soil averages +-7 on tha PH scale.
Potatoes prefer 4.8_5.5 They can get scab or fungus at 6 and above.
-
Please understand, this is my method! Sulphur lowers the PH.
That's all I use to lower it. Lol, cheap too!

There are many on this forum that grow potatoes successfully. All have their ways & means according location or how they learned or were taught.

Quoting:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518833/[/quote]

Thumbnail by heycharlie

I'm planting on a much smaller scale than FarmerDill and heycharlie, but I do plant mine 12 to 18 inches apart in a wide row. Remember that you'll be hilling them. Because of the hilling, I don't stick my spare lettuces and herbs around the bed like I do in crops that don't need hilling (everything except taters and leeks).

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I just started doing a diary (with pictures) on how I plant mine, will post more as the season goes on.

http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=2511

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice pics, Big Red.
I am more like Zeppy. I have a 4' x 12' raised garden bed.
I just cut up the larger seed potatoes at work today to dry. So hopefully I can plant on Sunday.
But love the pics and ideas, guys. Thanks. Carol

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I just planted mine. I think I may have made a bad mistake though.
I put them in the furrow and covered them with compost and then hilled dirt on top. I hope they don't get scab from the rich compost. I'm still learning about this gardening thing, so it may take me a couple seasons to get it right. I guess we'll see. Thanks to all you experienced tater-growers, for all the information though,.......it helps. If they get scab, I'll know why next year.
I planted 3 different varieties.....Red Pontiac, Yukon Gold, & Cobbler.

I didn't have to cut any of mine. I was lucky enough to be able to hand pick them from the garden supply store, so I got them all just a little smaller than a golf ball and planted them all whole.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 9:27 PM

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

PeggieK, even if they do get scab it won't hurt the eating quality, they just won't look quite so pretty. You'll probably get better production and larger potatoes.

Two years ago, I planted 1 row in ground that I had manured the previous fall, and 3 rows in "new" ground. Although that one row did have a few scabs It grew much bigger spuds. ☺

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Really nice rows Big Red. Thanks for the pics. I bet your garden is a pretty sight to behold in the summer growing season.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm such a novice at this, but really want to learn to do it well. Thanks again.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

PeggieK, IF I don't spend too much time fishing like last year!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Right on ! I hear that the Crappie are spawning around here. Time to go check it out. A little something for the freezer to have with those potatoes.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I just planted my potatoes. Unfortunately, I read all this AFTER I cut them and put them in peat pots. I didn't let them dry or anything. What is scabbing? Should I just toss my potatoes? Will they grow? This is only my second year gardening and my first year growing taters.

noobie, relax! They will probably be fine and you'll have a lovely crop.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Zeppy! I needed to hear that. I'm like a new mama with these seeds. I bought seedlings last year, and promised myself that this year I would try to grow my own.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

More than you want to know about scab: http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Potato_Scab.htm

Hey Farmerdill,
Good link plus found other interesting links. Thanks!

Big_Red

Quoting:
PeggieK, even if they do get scab it won't hurt the eating quality, they just won't look quite so pretty. You'll probably get better production and larger potatoes.

If you happen to live with fire-ants they make little bumps on your spuds.
Same thing. Peel and eat!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, guys, I just finished planting my potatoes. Since my raised bed is small, I did one long row of russet potatoes. Hilled up dirt and mint compost over them.
So should do just fine.
Really appreciated all the comments here tho. Helped a lot.
Carol

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Now that they're in the ground, how long should it be before I see anything sprouting above ground ? It's been about a week for some of them. I put out more today.............without the rich compost. lol I guess I have something to make a comparison to, with and without scabs. Figured I better go get some more and plant them, cause my favorite is the little new potatoes, boiled with skin on and buttered. Yummmm. Can hardly wait.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

How should they be planted in raised beds. My potato beds are about 2 feet deep.

Can I space them a little closer together?

BB

If it's a wide bed (3 or 4 ft) I stagger them so there are basically two rows (staggered). Still 12 inch apart.

PeggieK, it'll be a while. You may see one come up in two places (from the two eyes).

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Patience is a virtue, right ? I wanted them to just pop up like my radishes did. lol. I don't even like radishes all that much, but grow them for that simple reason. Keeps me distracted, so I can wait until something else comes up. hehe. I love gardening.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

PeggieK, it depends on several things, soil temp, whether they were sprouted or not, how deep they were planted, etc. They usually will come up in 2 - 2 1/2 weeks.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2006 8:57 AM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Wow, that seems like a long time. But the little new potatoes are sooooo good, it's worth the wait.

I wouldn't go digging for any new potatoes for a couple of months: a week or two after flowering begins.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Gotcha. I'll go dig a few radishes lol

Has anyone mentioned using layered boards or tires to grow potatoes in:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2002347126_potatoes25.html

This works well enough but with a little thought you can do better. At least in my experience!
As you add boards or tiers leave a 2" gap.

Plant your first layer around the edges.
Attach your second layer of boards etc fill with dirt and plant same way.

Continue to a controllable height. On the top layer plant the entire area and cover with dirt.
The potatoes will grow out the spacing and over tha top.
Quite beautiful ! When ready ya can steal a few from tha top layer.
-
Harvest starting at tha top, removing boards as ya go.

I haven't done this in years because I haven't had tha need and I'm too lazy.
-
4' sq fits most anywhere so backyarders Can grow taters

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I bet that is pretty with plants coming out from between tires. How do you create the spaces between tires ?

Hey PeggieK
Spend a lot of time in NE Ok well as SE.

Spacing tires can be done with most anything appx 2 inches.
A couple of 2x4's laid across for support.
Old scraps of wood cut to fit.

Haha, ya gotta remember heycharlie is simple charlie & lazy.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Just found this thread and it's useful and interesting. Peggy, yes, patience is a virtue. It took 6 weeks before our taters poked their heads through the ground.

I'm happy to hear about when to harvest. I would just sit here and wait for them to show up in a net bag.

Bet you wouldn't guess this is my first year for taters.

:^)))
Molly

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Hehe, a net bag...........that's a good one ! Sounds like my kind of thinking.
We planted ours around St. Patrick's Day, and they are just now poking their way thru the dirt (today actually). I'm so glad it didn't take ours 6 weeks to make a showing. I would have probably thought they had rotted and started digging them up to see.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hehehe, Peggie, that's exactly what I did! I planted mine on the 19th and a local farmer told me that "it was too early, they'd just rot in the ground". I dug up one here and there(3) and they've all started to sprout, no rot as of now. Just have a few peeking out of the ground now.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

My brother and I have created a round "barrel" type stand of dirt that we've planted our potatoes in. I've mentioned it in my journal and I'll see if we can get some pics up soon.

We used some netting, with the empty plastic bag that contained top soil placed around the netting to keep the dirt from spilling out. We poured a bag of top soil in, then a layer of peat moss, sprinkled a bit of tater fertilizer, then another bag of top soil, layer of peat moss, sprinkle tater fertilizer, and so on till we hit the top. We then planted our taters 4 inches deep. We have created just 2 stands so far, but we are going to do more this saturday for our red potatoes. We planted the first 2 stands of white potatoes sometime around the middle of March and just now one stand has 3 plants starting to come up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.