tree identification

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

I just moved into my house a few months ago and I am trying to figure out exactly what kind of tree I have growing in my front yard. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Eli

Thumbnail by MrEli
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

heres a different veiw.

Thumbnail by MrEli
Glen Rock, PA

My bet is Norway Spruce.

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

heres a pine cone from the tree

Thumbnail by MrEli
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Norway Spruce.

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the quick reply Pete.
I have one more picture of the bark. I dont know if it helps of not.

Thumbnail by MrEli
West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

Alrighty. That was quick. I spent a while trying to find it on the net with no luck. I just took these pictures like 2 mins ago and now i have the answer. Thanks!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, definite Norway Spruce

Resin

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

And just an FYI... only pine trees produce pine cones.

The cone in your picture is a spruce cone. (:o)

Someone pointed this out to me years ago and I now have to make a conscious effort NOT to call all conifer cones "pine cones". (:o)
Mike

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The first time I was corrected so, so many years ago, my mentor's reply was:

"Pine cone? Bite your tongue!"

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Eli's comin', ( one of my most favorite "oldies"); Just for fun go to Plant Files and type in Norway Spruce under common name. About 90% of these cultivars are dwarf conifers and, as pictured here represent just the tip of the iceberg of what's available. All hardy for you and if the "big one" grows odds are almost perfect that any of these will also. Deer don't eat them. As Martha says: "It's a good thing" Ken

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
And just an FYI... only pine trees produce pine cones

Too right!

A spruce having pine cones is a bit like a cat having puppies . . . :-)

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Give MrEli a break; he could've been trying to figure out what to call the seed-bearing structure on Pinus glabra...

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/81173/index.html

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

MrEli We had a beautiful Norway Spruce in the yard when I was young and I still can recall the wind blowing thru it and that distinct sound. It was quite large and had to be cut down because the roots were constantly getting into the sewer line causing clogs. You will see them here and there in Missouri planted beside older farm houses long before I was born. Pine.....I mean spruce cones.................were long and neat looking.

cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.