my first datura seedlings

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

okay don't get mad but.....my very first seeds ever i got from jackieshar and they sprouted in about 3-4 weeks. so far i have 3 sprouts. i do have a problem though... she sent white, triple yellow and black currant swirl all i which i planted and labeled on the top of mini greenhouse(jiffy) put outside for light and my top blew away so now i have no idea which ones sprouted. lol. i guess i will have to wait and see if they bloom. they are growing in the peat pellets that fluff up with water. what size pot should i put them in next? and when? thanks for help on this.

Kelly

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Hey, Kelly!

I just planted my Angel's Trumpet Ballerina Mix the same, way, in peat pellets, on a heated table on 3-10 and they sprouted and were 2" tall before I knew it! The only other Datura I've ever grown was "Sacred Datura" from wild gathered seeds. I planted it in an unamended area of my garden in Fontana, CA. It grew huge even in the first year it was prolly 3 feet tall and 4 across. It was perennial, dieing back (producing pods and losing leaves), but came back like gangbusters the next spring!

Now I'm in a much colder zone, so I'm going to try planting a few hardy varieties out in sheltered areas, but will prolly have to pot the rest and Gh them in summer...(If I have a GH by then!!

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Kelly,
If you are past your frost period you can plant the little peat pots right in the ground where you want them to grow...keep in mind they get pretty big, some of mine are 3ft by 3 ft or more..I am sooo glad they are doing well for you
Jackie

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

jackie...we are in the 30's again this morning! can you believe that? we had two weeks of 79 and 80 now back freezing! sending you a d-mail also.

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

Hi desert_witch

the peat pellets you are using are thay the ones you place in water and thay puff up.
Will if thay are slit the sides when you put them in the grown thay cut off the roots of the plant i find.
The pellet has a fine mesh around it and is realy fine when the roots get biger it cuts them causing the plant to decline thats what i find anyway i just slit the mesh it helps. good luck with them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.