When I was least spectin' ...

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I really enjoyed looking at all of these photos.

I have some beautiful blue scrub jays that visit my yard. I also get some lovely robins too. It's just the highlight of my day when I see them.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy there, SalemSunshine ..
Allow me to extend a (bit late), but .. big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG .. to ya!!
And am glad you enjoy'd all of the pics here on the thread too! I see you have those also: you know, the 'highlight' ones!! .. hee

lilyfantn .. thanks so much, for the link for the winterberry. Some wonderful info there!!

cuckoo .. thank you. And I'm sure glad that you, also are enjoying the butterflies and the birdies!

The chippers (nor the squirrels) don't/won't eat the raisins nor the cherries that are in the lil piles of premium bird seed I put out for them - but they do seem to disappear after a few days. Just don't ever get to see what it is, that's getting them. We've noticed that the Blue Birds have been visiting the open/fly-thru feeder tray - and pickin' up some kind of morsel and tidbit ever so often - but, can only hope that they're the ones fetchin' the fruit peices! Just haven't been able to actually witness it ...

I sometimes wish .. that we had jes a wee lil bit larger 'open' area - to maybe entice a Mocker or two down into our holler. But, I sure do love the woods and the privacy too much, to wish too strongly .. (hee)

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 1:00 AM

(Zone 10b)

lol...Magpye, I'm reminded of the photo you posted of the chipmunk trying to round up a petition to remove the stupid raisins. I think the birds around my parts feel the same way about the cracked corn that's part of the seed mixture.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL .. GreenLife! ..

We tried the cracked corn - way back when. Hummph! The chippers jes sull'd up and pouted about it!! The squirrels didn't mind it TOO much - but they too, prefer the premium blend! (what dignified critter wouldn't, ya know) Like settlin' for sardines when ya really want catfish!! .. LOL

However .. the turkey birds are sure enjoying the corn these days tho'. Check out the most recent thread, if'n ya may care to - - 'xtree spayshall Saturday'.

Speaking of birds ...
We'd long known that the birds will peck around in the gravel on the driveway for needed grit in their systems. But, we noticed only recently (& for the first time ever!) .. that the birds will fly down and peck at the salt block that we have sitting on a stump just below the house!! Jes another lil 'portant sumthin' I've learned of late .. (hee)

Have a g'nite folks ..

((huggerooners))

- Magpye

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I have a couple of photos that I took in my backyard, of my little bird friends. Thought I'd share. The last photo is one of the many squirrels that live here, and he's got a walnut (I think) in his mouth. I'm not sure where the walnut tree is.

http://home.comcast.net/~swank3447/wsb/media/1203684/site1003.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~swank3447/wsb/media/1203684/site1026.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~swank3447/wsb/media/1203684/site1018.gif

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 8:47 AM

(Zone 10b)

Magpye, I always get a laugh at how discerning the animals' tastes can be. They love their PREMIUM seed blend. I'll head on right to your post to check up on your turkey birds. I've never seen one before.

SalemSunshine-looks like your have a scrub jay visiting your yard. It's fascinating to watch them caching acorns, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and other goodies into the ground.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooohhh Salem what adorable pictures! I love the jay! The color is so gorgeous. So that's what a scrub jay looks like!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Magpye, I stopped by the other day in a hurry, and I've been meaning to tell you home much I enjoyed your photos of the Zebra Swallowtail on the muscari. Awesome shots, fabulous color combos. I think those may be the best butterfly pics I have seen anywhere. And I loved your story of how you got them - I could feel the cramped muscles as you remained in that couched position..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.