Best looking paper birch in Cincinnati

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here in the heart of bronze birch borer Gotham, if you plant a paper birch, it dies. But once in a blue moon you'll find one that has endured. Here is one in the tiniest of island beds on a very busy stripmall strip. Never watered or sprayed. It is on the north side of the building. I'm also wondering if being so isolated and in such a consistently polluted area if the borers just cannot find it.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Wouldn't know about "never sprayed" - sprayed with all sorts of petrochemicals, I'd suspect!

Probably right about it benefitting from a 'smell screen' of pollution making it impossible for the borers to pick up the birch scent

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Probably owned, planted, and lovingly maintained by some bright-eyed KY optimist, outwitting those pesky upper midwestern borers.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No, I talked with the staff there, who thought I was absolutely insane, btw, for having any interest in their tree whatsoever and especially for taking its picture, and they told me that nobody ever waters or sprays the tree.

Scott

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

maybe the jiffylube smell keeps them at bay?

Eau Claire, WI

Or perhaps its roots are tapping into a leaking waste oil tank, giving it some built-in resistance to the borers.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

No, Since all Jiffy Lube employees are required to originate in KY, they have always top dressed it with the spent oil to keep the dust down, don't you know, and tie the mulch together so as to not blow away.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2006 11:09 AM

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Most disrespected Catalpa in Wisconsin --
the living signpost of Moose Jaw Beer!

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Where else! I'm suprised there's no cheesehead on the moose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.