Herbaceous Perennial Plant Mission

I started a thread looking for native woodies here-http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585048/

I have a great list going to forward but I now need to do the same thing for herbaceous perennials.

There is a 501 (c) 3 out there in Northern Illinois that would like to redirect their focus back toward Native Plants exclusively for their 2007 Native Plant Sale. They would very much appreciate recommendations of woodies and herbaceous perennials (will start another thread for those) that they can place in front of the Board. It was suggested that it would be nice if people who made recommendations also included why they recommended a plant be included in their next Native Plant Sale.

From this website-
http://www.ill-inps.org/INPS%202006_files/page0010.htm

Quoting:
Gardening with native plants is growing in popularity within North America. The damage caused by exotic invasive ornamental species has threatened the existence of many our native plant species. Good stewardship of our native natural resources includes making wise choices in the landscape materials we purchase. One way to practice good stewardship is through the purchase of plant material that is native to your local region.

There are many benefits of using native plant species in your gardening and landscaping projects:

Overall, native plants need less water as compared to non-native exotics.
Native plants require fewer chemical pesticides.
Native plants require little to no fertilizer and can respond negatively to fertilizer application.
Native plants attract beneficial wildlife including birds and pollinating insects.
Native plants are aesthetically pleasing.
Growing native plants adds biological and genetic diversity to the domestic landscape.

That being said, this organization would be interested in the whys behind which a plant is being recommended.

Example:

Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum)
excerpt from this website- http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/index.phtml?o=baldcypress&print=true
Quoting:
Bald cypress trees provide habitat for many species. Wild turkey, wood ducks, evening grosbeak and squirrels eat the seeds. Branches provide nesting places for bald eagles and osprey. Rotting knees are used as nesting cavities by warblers. Catfish spawn beneath cypress logs. Bald cypress diffuse and slow floodwaters, reducing flood damage. They also trap sediments and pollutants.

I felt the Director of the organization was sincere when he asked me for a list. They feel they have made a few mistakes in some of the plants they offered for sale and would like to take corrective action. He stated several of the Board Members were new but that they all had a sincere desire to fund raise to better enable them to provide quality educational programming in the community.

My tastes do not represent the buying public so I was sort of hoping people here might suggest a few native herbaceous perennials and collectively the contributions would represent the buying public. This organization is going to need to know which native herbaceous perennials mainstream gardeners would be interested in adding to their properties so that they can have a better shot at offering plants that would have broader appeal.

Wauconda, IL

Equil, I'm recommending these herbacious perennials because they're native plants, uniquely evolved to grow in our area over 10s of thousands, and they're easy to grow. Here's what I have in my yard...binomial where I can remember it.

1 tree woodland, more commonly known as a Shade Garden:

Round Lobed Hepatica(hepatica triloba)
Yellow Trillium(Trillium Luteum)
Nodding Trillium(Trillium cernuum)
Prairie Trillium(Trillium Recurvata)
Regular old Trillium(Trillium Grandiflorum)
Elm-leafed Goldenrod (also known as Zig-Zag Goldenrod)
Great Soloman's Seal(Polygonatum biflorum)
False Soloman's seal(Smilacina racemosa)
Maidenhair Fern
Christmas Fern
Uvularia (Merrybells?)
Mertensia(Virgina Bluebells)
Jack in the Pulpit
Green Wizard
Jacob's Ladder
BottleBrush Grass (hystrix patula)
Kittentails(Bessenya Bullii?)
Bloodroot
Celandine Poppy
Some kind of Native Rue
Virginia Waterleaf (HELP!)(Want some?)
Pink Turtlehead(Chelone)
Poke Milkweed
Black Snakeroot(Eupatorium)
Aquilegia Canadensis
Mayapples

Sun/Mesic/Dry Prairie Stuff:

Big Bluestem
Little Bluestem
Indian Grass
Switch Grass
Panic Grass
Side Oats Grama
Prairie Dropseed
Native Brome of Some Sort
June Grass
Carex Pennsylvanica
Purple Coneflower(Echinacea Purpurea)
Tennessee Coneflower(Echinacea Tennesseensis)
Pale Purple Coneflower
Grey-Headed Coneflower (Ratibida Pinnata)
Tall Rudbeckia(Ratibida Lancinata)
Yellow Coneflower (Echinacea paradoxa)
Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia)
Plains Coreopsis(coreopsis lanceolata)
Coreopsis Tinctoria
Meadowsweet(Filipendula)
Helenium
Mexican Hat
Liatris Ligulystylis(Meadow Blazing Star)
Prairie Blazing Star
Blazing Star (Liatris Spicata)
Silene Regia
Queen of the Prairie (Filipendua Rubra)
Meadowsweet(Spirea..yes, this variety is native)
Compass Plant (Silphium)
Prairie Dock(Silphium)
Cup Plant(Silphium)
Shooting Stars(Dodecatheon Meadia)
Prairie Smoke(Geum Triflorum)
Culver's Root(Veronicastrum)
Verbena(Verbena Stricta)
Blue-eyed grass(Sisyrinchium Angustifolium)
White Blue-eyed Grass(Sisyrinchium Angustifolium alba)
False Indigo (Baptisia Australis)
Cream Coloured False Indigo (Baptisia Tinctoria)
Cardinal Flower(Lobelia Cardinalis)
Joe-Pye Weed
Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia Pupurea)
Ohio Spiderwort (Tradescantia)
Missouri Primrose
Evening Primrose(don't ever let this stuff go to seed, folks. You will rue the day you did)
Swamp Milkweed(Asclepius Incarnata)
Whorled Milkweed(Rare and rhizomatous!)
Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias Tuberosa)
Asclepias Curvassica
Common Milkweed
Foxglove Beardtongue(Penstemon Digitalis)
Amsonia

I'm sure I forgot a few things...but the organisation has lots of plants to choose from. These are all attractive bloomers. Even some of the grasses..Side Oats Grama has beautiful, tiny red blooms. They absolutely need to offer prairie grasses, too. They're very nice looking, and most have excellent fall colour. Especially the BBS and LBS. Dode

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 9:25 PM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 9:52 PM

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I am so coming to dode's house with shovel in hand :o)

Terry

Wauconda, IL

You don't need a shovel...all you need is seed, which is what I grew most of these from, and I have seed for most of them, if you're interested. ahughes798@ameritech.net

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

You've got mail April......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.