Tropicanna or Tropicana cannas?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe someone can help...I am confused by the following Canna names...
Tropicanna, Tropicana, Durban, Phaison. I tried to understand if they are all the same or different, but ....lol...
I want the one that has the dark variations (almost plum to red) and the orange flower.
Which name(s) do I want? Thanks for any info!

Jackie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Does this help or make it worse:

http://www.hartcanna.com/phasion.htm

http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/canna-tropicana.htm

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/3301/

If you find a good price, let me know. :) I recently had a company tell me they no longer offered them and were not allowed to propogate them. :(

Badseed my local Home depot is selling them bagged 1 rhizome for 3.99 or something similar. They have it labeled "Durban"

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL, Chele.....a little of each!
My home depot doesn't have 'em, waaaah.
I will check again , though and through Lowes, maybe.
I must find a few of these. I must.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello,

Tropicanna definitely has two N's, not one. It is trademarked as such.

Here is yet another site featuring Tropicanna:

http://www.tesselaar.com/Display.aspx?Page=Details&ID=34&Region=NA

The following varieties of Tropicanna are available:

Tropicanna (based on your description, this is the one you are after)
Canna Tropicanna, var. Phasion

'Durban' is the name used in the United Kingdom. You might want to visit
the Hart Canna site as Brian mentioned above to entertain yourself with the
bitter battle about this one.

According to a UK website, Durban IS Tropicanna:
Also goes under the flashier name of 'Tropicanna' but there is no difference
in terms of height, rate of growth, leaf or flower color.

Tropicanna Black...available on a few sites right now, may be a little tricky
to find until nurseries complete their trials. Then perhaps we can find it locally.

Tropicanna Gold

:-) Karen

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Karen, wow! I am really itching now....
I think part of what confused me was the Tropicana name I was seeing from certain sellers...and also the other names, when many of the pics looked similar. I have read that Tropicana is a counterfeit version of Tropicanna.
Tropicanna Black is out of this world too.
Thanks again,
Jackie
Ps, yes the battle is definitely entertaining,lol.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wuvie, have you changed my name to Brian?? Oh shoot, I owe you an email too. Michele was the bad one. I'm Brian now. :)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

ROFLMBO, Oh, my gosh, I'm so very sorry!

LOL.

I didn't even look at your username, I just caught that it began with a B and
must have been thinking about Brian Williams. I feel so silly, I'm so sorry!
I think I owe you an email, too, let me go check, Brian. Err, Michele.

:-)

Louisville, KY

I see I am being mentioned again this time taking credit from bad seed no wonder your wanting to raid my collection. LOL

Here is the scoop on Tropicanna. Their was and maybe still is a nursery that was producing cannas out of Durban Africa.
I believe it may have been shut down after a revolution.
They released this canna under the name Durban. Now the confusing part Durban has red flowers with foliage almost identical to Tropicanna. The following years they released the orange flowering form. So both Cannas are from the same company. This orange flowering from was sold on the market as orange Durban and was then patented by a few nurseries. The trick here is and it's a bit dirty you take something that is new change the name put and patient on it and it's now yours. So after the nurseries did this and put the name Tropicanna on it they had rights to the plant. So other nurseries usually smaller guys would use the older name so no one could sue them. This also can account for the misspelling which sometimes can save someone from getting sued by a larger nursery. Year later the same nursery produced pink starburst again no name to it. So all three forms with these beautiful leaves have all come out of Durban Africa out of one nursery. It seems no one else has produced similar type variegation besides me. It was thought that the reason these variegated mutations were being created their, was due to their intense light and radiation from the sun. The nursery was very close to the equator and this theory has yet to be tested and sense the nursery is no longer in operations last I heard their may not be any similar releases for sometime.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you for such an informative post!

A print-and-keep for sure, you're a doll!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Gee Brian, if I just become you, I won't need permission to help myself. I'm afraid I look more like your mom than you though. Think I'll change my name to Brianne. :)

Wuvie, I'll take it as a compliment. Brian has better greenhouses and more plants than me! LOL

Now if Brian wouldn't mind to chop up that canna there and mail it to everyone on the post, we'd all be eternally grateful, huh??

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Brian, I don't think there are many on this forum who wouldn't love to raid your collection, lol. Thanks for the info everybody, think I got it now. :)
I want both the red lowered "Durban," ( did I read before that you were looking for that one Brian, did you find it? ) and the Tropicanna with the orange flower. Of course I want both. Oh yes, and the Tropicanna Black too, while I'm at it. Wuvie, do you have the Black?

Chele, you distract Brian, and I'll chop.
Jackie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I will have to go with you Jackie. Kell was supposed to bring hot dogs so the pugs don't attack me but she never showed up so here I sit!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm putting my name in so I can get a share when it's chopping time....

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

ROTFLMBO
I don't know what is funnier.....the thought of Chele and Kell distracting the pugs with hot dogs......or simply just the thought of Brian having "attack pugs."
OK, I'll distract, and you chop. I think you're right on the way,lol.

Nery, the more choppers the better, lol, or maybe we need more distractors??

you guys! hee hee

Brian and whoever else grows these particular cannas:
I'm crazy about the Tropicanna Black discussed here. But can you tell me the difference(s) between black Tropicanna and Australia? The leaves seem about the same darkness. I have Australia, the leaves are very dark and don't fade. , I would consider Australia a tall canna. I don't remember, but I think my Australia's flower is a bright orange? what are the particulars on Tropicanna black?

never mind, I think I figured it out on my own using the PF. Seems like Black Tropicanna is more of a medium height with red flower and Australia is a tall w/ orange/red flower, both with dark burgundy leaves. Hmm, I prefer dwarf and mediums over tall cannas, will have to look for Tropicanna Black.

If you grow these two and think there are other notable differences, I hope you post here. thanks.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hellobebe,

This will be my first year for the Tropicanna Black, as I have but one I've had
living in the house for a while. I'll be more than happy to post how they fare as
the season progresses.

:-)

Louisville, KY

Well everyone is up to rob me. But I should warn you guys I am right about 6 ft and bench press 450lbs :>)

As for Black Tropicanna I don't believe this has anything to do genetically with Tropicanna I believe it is a seperate hybrid and they use tropicanna as a sales pich to help sell it. Australia has deep red flowers never orange the leaves are red to black. I have not grown the Black Tropicanna so if someone has it and is interested in a trade I would be interested.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Almost forgot to mention, for those who may read this thread, we
could sure use your help in begging for a Canna forum. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580182/

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Brian,

Six foot tall and bench press 450? Ah, but how much a match are you
for an eight inch pair of stainless steel hair sticks? (heh heh)

I would be happy to trade some Tropicanna Black with you, but at the moment it is in
a pot and just about three feet tall with several shoots. If you feel comfortable in my
slicing the plant at this stage, I would be happy to trade.

Please note, others who may be interested, I must restrict this trade only to
Brian at this time. Later on when I have more tubers, I will gladly trade, but as
I've visited Brian's site, I have to say I'm bound to find dozens of possible trade
potential.

:-) Brian, send a Dmail my way if you want to work something out.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/127671/index.html

Going back to the garden for a bit.

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Awesome looking Black there, just look at that dimension on the leaf.
Great good luck to you, Wuvie! Please keep us posted.

All of this info has been really helpful to me, thanks Brian, Wuvie and Chele.

PS,
Not going up against the Williams Man, even with the steel hair sticks,lol.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wuvie, you have some strange looking grass. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL@Chele!

Wow Wuvie, that is gorgeous! Now I'll have to go back and re-read this thread, as I just skimmed over it.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's a pretty canna. I wasn't going to look at the picture.........too late, I looked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.