white clematis: alternative to Sweet Autumn?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I just ripped out my SAC yesterday. It had overtaken my rose and the entire area it was in- in less than 2 yrs!!
Is there another FRAGRANT white clematis that would be suitable to grow in a rose? I want one that is not agressive like the SAC. I looked thru the PF and didnt see any that were well-behaved or small in size, that were also fragrant. Found plenty of well-behaved whites w/o fragrance. Since my rose [Blaze] isn't fragrant, I wanted some "smell" there- LOL. Maybe the two characteristics- agressive and fragrant- go hand in hand.

Maybe I'm asking for too much in a fragrant white clematis, perhaps?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I ran a search at Clematis On The Web. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html
These are the varieties that came up when searching for "white" and "fragrant". Hope it helps!

A + sign indicates photograph(s) available on their website.

'Apple Blossom' +
Other names: 'Appleblossom'; armandii 'Apple Blossom'
armandii +
Other names: hedysarifolia subsp armandii; biondiana; armandii var biondiana; meyeniana; armandii 'Biondiana'
australis +
'Bowl of Beauty' +
Other names: armandii 'Bowl of Beauty'
brachyura +
Other names: paniculata forma pauciflora; recta subsp brachyura
chinensis +
Other names: recta subsp chinensis
cirrhosa var balearica +
Other names: balearica; cirrhosa var angustifolia; atragene balearica; calycina; cirrhosa var semitriloba; Fern-leafed clematis
GAZELLE 'Evipo014' (N) +
integrifolia 'Alba' +
Other names: 'Alba'; integrifolia var alba; integrifolia var albiflora; integrifolia 'Albiflora'
meyeniana
Other names: meyeriana; armandi; oreophila; hothae; hedisarifolia; craibiana; virginiana
montana 'Alexander' +
Other names: 'Alexander'
paniculata var lobata +
Other names: paniculata var lobulata
recta +
Other names: recta 'Alba'; erecta; lathyrifolia; recta subsp lathyrifolia; maritima

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 8:28 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Shirley,
Wow! You went to a lot of trouble- you are such a sweetheart!!
I already recognise some of the names from my research earlier today. I've got a lot of reading to do- LOL!

Thank you so much!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.